G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
1,960 Posts
The Sunset Valley turnouts have a small notch cut out of the point rails where they meet the stock rail. On a properly working turnout this should slip under the top portion of the stock rail making a very smooth transition. I just looked at a couple of mine and ran my finger over it. I could barely feel the transition. Maybe the turnout in question is not seating properly. Could be the screw that holds the point rail to the throwbar is too tight or maybe too loose. As has been said filing the end of the point rail a little might also cure it.

· Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Jim,
There is one more thing that you can do with the Sunset Valley turnouts when your turnout control does not have quite enough throw. There is really more space then needed between the point rail and stock rail on the open side. I simply remove one of the screws,drill a new pilot hole right next to the old one and resecure the point rail. This will reduce the amount of throw needed by about 1/8". Sometime makes all the difference in getting a ground throw to work good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.