G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
755 Posts
Jim

You were not quite clear ... is the curve coming into the points of the switch turning the opposite way to the divergining route? In other words a reverse curve without any straight track in between?

If so the only solution is to pull that #6 switch for use elsewhere and back the switch up in the curve with a curved switch.

If the curve is not a reverse curve but is turning the same way as the diverging track in the switch, then you should be able to adjust the points to make it work

Regards ... Doug

· Premium Member
755 Posts
Jim

I don't have an SV switch to look at as I use Llagas Creek. But, imho, the rails on both sides should be notched just enough to recess the switch point fully and allow for a smooth transition into the switch. Since uou do not have an S curve, if your wheels are gauged correctly, and the track at the switch is in gauge and side to side level, this can be made to work reliably. You seem to have checked everything else - is it possible to file slightly the notch in the offending rail to deepen it and recess the point fully?

Guard rails at the frog are essential to keep flanges from hunting the frog and derailing. unfortunately, the lack of a standard for wheel profile makes the chackgauge standard invalid. The traditional LGB elephant fat flanges led to a very sloppy checkgauge - and that sloppiness is troublesome with semi scale wheelsets. Tightening the checkgauge with a strip of brass or maybe styrene will work (provided that noone shows up with LGB flanges that are too fat) as will relaying the guardrail (provided that the rail base is not so wide as to prevent tightening the checkgauge).

Regards ... Doug

· Premium Member
755 Posts
i just checked the Llagas Creek switches I use and all have significant indents to receive the points against the stock rails. I use manual switch throws that have "unlimited" travel so I have never had the precision problem that is referred to here ... this is achieved by either using a spring arrangement between the switch throw bar and the throw mechanism or by using something like a choke cable. I cannot comment on automated switches as I have never used them.

In the absence of being unable to increase the throw of the points, then Paul's solution seems to be a sensible approach.

Regards ... Doug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.