1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Before I answer the question, you need to remove the space in the subfolder name of "Argyle Philly"... spaces in file and directory names screw up the forum software.

Now, uh, I think sketchup has an export entry in the File menu... I will post this and then go look... it takes a while to run scratchedup on my PC.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Yeah, that's it. Position the view the way you want the image to look and then click "File|Export>|2-D Graphic" and it will give you a dialog box to enter the file name and pick a folder to put it in.

EDIT: corrected the actual menu name... sorry.

Also, I cannot open nor save the file in your link. I am assuming it is because of the space in the directory name.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I see you edited the link in the first post to remove the space, but I still get a "not found" page when I click on it. And Right-clicking it does not allow me to "Save target as". Dunno why... that is usually caused by some silly problem with an unacceptable character in the file or path name. But I see you got a thumbnail to show up in your latest post and clicking it produces a larger image in another window. So you have something working.

Nice drawing.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 12/29/2008 10:29 AM
I see you edited the link in the first post to remove the space, but I still get a "not found" page when I click on it. And Right-clicking it does not allow me to "Save target as". Dunno why... that is usually caused by some silly problem with an unacceptable character in the file or path name. But I see you got a thumbnail to show up in your latest post and clicking it produces a larger image in another window. So you have something working.

Nice drawing.

C.T.,
I think it must be something on your end....I didn't bother opening the file, but I was able to "right click" and select "save link as" to save the file to my computer before with the space, and again just now without the space...

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Dean Whipple on 12/29/2008 9:29 PM
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 12/29/2008 10:29 AM

Nice drawing.

C.T.,
I think it must be something on your end....I didn't bother opening the file, but I was able to "right click" and select "save link as" to save the file to my computer before with the space, and again just now without the space...

Interesting.

When I right click on the link I get the usual 'context menu' and can "Open", "Open in New Tab" and "Open in New Window" ; all of which give me a "That page cannot be found" message in either the original window tab or a new tab or a new window. But the "Save Target As..." selection is 'grayed' and cannot be selected.

I don't get a "Save link as". I do get a "Copy Link", but that just gives the the text of the link in the clipboard so I can paste that text into NotePad or Word or back in this edit window.

Same thing happens when I click on the link in your previous post in this thread. If I click on the image below that link I can "Save Picture as...".

I must have some browser setting screwed up or maybe a firewall is blocking it. I will have to fiddle with it "someday" and see what is goin'on. Thanks.

·
Junior Senior Member
564 Posts
I think he took the advice and removed the space in the link. So far so good. However, I think the original still has the space in it. So if you copy the link, paste it into the browser, and put the space back in the link may work.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The orignal file has no space. The space was actually in the folder name not the file name. It was removed. Not sure though why it cant be loaded. Never did have luck when posting files.

BTW its the stack for a Argyle Philly that I drew up.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I backed up in the directory structure and can see the ArgylePhilly directory and can open it. I then see several JPG file names and the SKP file name. I can click on any of the photo files and view them, but when I click on the SKP file, I get a "Not Found" page. Weird. Sure it is a problem on this end of the copper braid, but I have no idea where to start. I will have to mess around someday to see if I can find it.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 12/30/2008 10:27 AM
I backed up in the directory structure and can see the ArgylePhilly directory and can open it. I then see several JPG file names and the SKP file name. I can click on any of the photo files and view them, but when I click on the SKP file, I get a "Not Found" page. Weird. Sure it is a problem on this end of the copper braid, but I have no idea where to start. I will have to mess around someday to see if I can find it.

Weird....for what it's worth, I had no problem downloading the file from the directory like you did....but, Google SketchUp 7 says it's "not a valid SketchUp file"........
OK I think I figured it out I use Mozilla Firefox, and it worked, then I tried Internet Explorer and would not download it, I also tried Apple Safari it started but would not complete the download....

Apparently it's a corrupted file.....

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Hey guys,

Have you tried opening the file with a text editor, to just see what it contains?

The following is what I found after downloading it and opening it with UltraEdit
Sorry about the width but the code tag doesn't recognize the CR/LF either.

Which renders the following...
The page cannot be found The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:
[*]Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly. [*]If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted. [*]Click the [script removed]Back button to try another link. [/list] HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)
[*]Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404. [*]Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages. [/list]

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I wonder... is it possible that the ".SKP" filename extension is used for both SketchUp AND some other internet purpose? Thus when the file is clicked on, IE-7 is trying to do something else with it and that is the problem.

Maybe if the file were renamed to have an extension of say, ".TXT" or ".XXX" or maybe some other letter combination that has no predefined meaning, then when the file is clicked on the system won't know some special function to do to it and will then just download it. Once downloaded it could then be renamed back to ".SKP" and then SketchUp would be able to open it.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
C.T.

The file contains the HTML code, so regardless of what the extension is when the file is opened in a new window and the standard 404 error screen is displayed, because that is what the file contains. So you think that you are getting an error when in fact the file is being opened just like the .jpg file, except it happens to be the HTML to create the 404 screen. That's also why SketchUp returns an error and says it's not a valid .skp file, because SketchUp looks at the file headed just like all other programs do to determine if it's a valid file.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Are you seeing the actual content of the file or some HTML code substituted because IE-7 decided to do something with it and it screwed up?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
C.T.

I had to use FireFox to download the file MS/Internet Explorer v7 wouldn't find the file and errored out. As for UltraEdit it's a programming editor and to cross check I opened the file in Hex mode, and I don't think that the download would repackage the error and name it with the file name.

I'm going to delete the code section in the previous reply and get rid of the wide display, it serves no purpose.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Okay, I just had lead myself down the garden path and ended up in the thorns... just wanted to make sure of what was happening.

Hey, I haven't used UltraEdit in years. Use to love it!

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts