G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a model loco project, live steam of course, and want to set it up with a Goodall valve. I understand the principle of how it works but am wondering if anyone has dimensions or building info. I want to make it to fit a 1/4"-40 bush. My main concern is the taper of the nozzle and valve. Any insight on this would be apprecited.

Jack

· Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Winn,

Interesting! Pretty much what I have seen but I usually see solid construction and filling hole on centre. Is the hole tapered? Do you just stick a plastic or silicone tube from the pump in the hole? I am planning on using a spray bottle for the water resivoir/pump.

Jack

· Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Winn,

I suppose the delivery tube, when pressure is applied, expands just a wee bit to provide a seal. Looks so simple that even I can do it! What type of plastic or silicone tubing do you prefer for the delivery tube???

Once I get my work done I'll have to do some designing and get some hex stock.

THANKS!!!

Jack

· Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Pete,

Thanks! I am thinking that some have the taper brass nozzle and some may just use the tubing. I got some plastic tubing for the squirt bottle and some silicone tubing for the valve. I would appreciate knowing the taper if you understand how to measure it. In the mean time I'm going to try the tubing only method.

Jack

· Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I made a simple hole in a bit of brass. A #2 drill was used for the tubing I have. I eased the sharp edge a bit with a counter sink. Stuck the tube in the hole and it worked as advertised. Plain tube in the preciesly fitted hole wins as being functional and easy! On to make an actual valve later. Thanks for all the chatter on goodall valves!

Jack

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.