G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By bennysrr on 04/27/2008 6:39 PM

Today was a good day to run a train and watch my fish. BEN

Those fish really add to the effect. Heck they ARE the effect !  Great shot.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Very nice....those fish are huge...seem bigger than the trains. Do they jump over the bridge? I be afraid of one landing on a loco...holy koi! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

Cheers
Gary

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Compared to the trains, those fish are huge! Has one yet leaped from the water and snagged a train car off of the tracks?

Llyn

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nice koi pond. You must have an exceptional filter to keep them alive in a small pond. I once ran a pet/fish store, so I know how hard it is to keep the water clean with koi. The water wheel is a great way to keep the oxygen level up, but I bet you have to add water frequently from evaporation. Alas, I was hoping to do some track work yesterday, but we had a rainy weekend here in Virginia.

Paul

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blackburn49, Gary ,paul and Llyn
the pond is a little over 2 ft deep and about 6 ft. wide and 10 ft long, i had fish jump out already, I lost two in 10 years . last year a blue herion got 10 fish around eight to 10 inches . i run two pumps and two filters to keep it clean , i wash the filters every 3 to 4 weeks. I'm retired and enjoy the pond and runing trains ,thanks for the comments . Ben:):)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Looking great Ben! Just fired up my pump and UV light last Sat. No... I did not get a train fired up... :)

Craig

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By sheepdog on 04/28/2008 3:03 PM

Looking great Ben! Just fired up my pump and UV light last Sat. No... I did not get a train fired up... Craig

Craig: Sounds as if you are at the same stage of pre-summer operation as I am: No trains running yet but the first of two pond pumps is now operating.

I see I have a lot to do to the pond this year. It's looking a little barren. This thread has inspired me. It's time to bring the fish back !

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Craig
good hearing from you , i haven't posted for a while ,but you need to get the trains running and get the pepper plants planted . BEN :)

G

·
Posted By GaryY on 04/27/2008 10:58 PM
Very nice....those fish are huge...seem bigger than the trains. Do they jump over the bridge? I be afraid of one landing on a loco...holy koi! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif" border=0>" border=0>
Cheers
Gary

I agree the fish are HUGE, but in g scale you can call them whales?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif" border=0>
Nick..

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nick C.
I agree the fish are big and they can eat to , but i will keep them as long as they don't start to eat my trains. BEN:)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
1:29 scale Johna and the Whale.

·
Registered
111 Posts
For those of you thinking about adding fish to that "lake" in your layout, just remember they can end up being as much work as cleaning the tracks. And you can't overfilter the water. Its always easier to maintain less fish with more filtration. Over the last few decades I've kept everything from piranhas, to lion fish, to moray eels, to sharks, to seahorse. When we go to a public aquarium, I like to point out the exotic fish and say, "I've killed one of those".

Of course, you can always buy some cheap feeder goldfish and let them fend for themselves. That's what my mother in law does every spring.

Ben, it sounds like your's is just deep enough at 2'. "By the books" you would want a 4' deep section for really cold winters. I built mine that way originally on one end. Unfortunately I live in a forest of mature oak trees. Over the years I gave up trying to keep them cleaned out. Now it's more like 2' deep. And oak leaves are too acidic for fish. However, in the summer I do have to worry about giant mutant frogs sitting on the tracks, right in the middle of the bridge. ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I had fish in my pond. On hot summer days, when O2 levels would be low, I would aerate the water by throwing in boys.

No Koi. Crappie, Bass and Bluegill are more fun to catch and nice eating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts