G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
updated

Its in the files someplace, but after building a number of switches to fit.
I placed the filler track in tonight after work.

YOU WILL STILL NEED TO BE VERY CAREFUL WALKING AT THE GRADE CROSSING

THERE IS NO NEED TO WALK IN THE YARD AREA, YOU CAN CROSS OVER AT EACH  END  OR ,,, FACE BEING ,,,SHOT.

I need to do some straightening and adjusting because the end of the concrete pour did not turn out well. shimming will fix that.

Spike (the cat) was checking it out. The two center tracks is the mains. you can see left the line going to the High Line. Also the switch going to the old steam up bay.

Next is the north end to build.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Marty....do you have a thread somewhere where you've explained how you make switches? I can't find one.

Oh....and that is one great looking yard.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Marty,
The Yard is fantastic.  It will be a great addition to the September Thingy.  Thanks for all your efforts and willingness to share.
JimC.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Nice, Marty!! Nice!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Nicely done Marty, I am impressed with how straight the track is. I guess that's easier when it's on concrete. Since you run battery power, do you just use the track connectors that comes with the track?
Paul

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul
yes, some place I may use splitjaw by switches.
The left side did not come straight off the switches like I had hoped. I built #8s there. rest are #6

Mike
I have had photos of the different ones, but no direct thread on it.
go to my gold room and check under switches

·
Premium Member
6,011 Posts
Posted By Mike Reilley on 03/11/2008 7:14 PM
Marty....do you have a thread somewhere where you've explained how you make switches? I can't find one.

Oh....and that is one great looking yard.

Mike, I think Marty contributed to the Great 16-page Thread on making turnouts/switches.  [Can we still not agree what they are called?]  I'll post a link when I get home and can spare the time to find it...

G

·
0 Posts
more trackage in that yard than some entire layouts...including mine!
WOW!
cale

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I'm always amazed by Marty's space, funds and energy :D

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Posted By Torby on 03/12/2008 10:10 AM
I'm always amazed by Marty's space, funds and energy :D" src="/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/biggrin.gif" />

It amazes me also.. I see folks spend lots at one time. I spend over time and plan for what next to buy to enable me to meet the next goal.

I sit in my train room and feel so BLESSED. But my wife does not see it that way....

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Marty,

Awesome! I really do hope I can get myself out to your place one of these years.  This year is out, but there's always next year. 

In your post, you said you buy track then plan how to incorporate.  I have to decide what to do first, then buy track to suit.  

I think Carrie and MB went to different schools together.  She somehow has this misguided thought that I have all the trains I could ever need!! 

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mark
Most of the time, its "timing". If something goes on sale like track and I find a good price , buy it. because you can always use track.
Like I bought couplers and trucks this past fall knowing I was going to build more modern cars.
I also bought plants at the end of the year on sale or look for them in spring, on sale.
If you KNOW your RR will grow, then go for it, work out the details later.

Like the terminal above. for years it was wasted unusable space. thus by moving the main line I used up that space and made it better for others who visit.

If it was only me running, I'd have no switches and just two big loops that go everywhere.  But switches creat scenes and place for folks to park trains.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Marty,

Good point.  I do need to start paying more attention to the plants!!  Hey - that gives me an idea for a thread...

Mark

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Really impressive work ! You're an inspiration to everyone in the hobby, especially a "new guy" like myself. Keep up the great work.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I think JJ need to be the Dispatcher, or the yardmaster??  You need to make a little office for JJ to sit in and watch over things. 

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Let's not get too carried away here... :) He and Stan will have to be watched carefully for awhile before I'd give them the yardmaster office.... :):)

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tried to solve one problem where a steamer will take the reverse loop to head to the highline . but other trains will be in the way. if you note. the north bound trains can go around the inside main which will allow the steamers a clear path to the highline through the terminal.

Most live steamers will be firing up at the turntable this year before they pull out onto the Highline main. Then they should be able to pull off at the old steam up track to refuel.  maybe .
you know how crazy it gets ...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts