G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a vacant house nearby there is a preformed pond that is almost dry, but I noticed some small fish in it. Either Goldfish or Koi. I have a small pond myself, about 50 gallons. I was going to put the fish temporarily in my pond while I find a permanent home for them. But do I need to do something to my pond before putting these fish in it?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Just be sure to give the fish a good looking over to make sure they look healthy (no obvious diseases or parasites). A quick pH check of both waters is a good idea. If they are very different you will need to acclimate a bit (put them in a bucket of their water and add a bit of your water to it over 30 mins).

-Brian

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Might want to make sure that the water in yours has seasoned enough (about 2 days) so that all the Chlorine is out (and use the aquarium drops when you add if you have "city water") Also add Chlorine remover if you've used a cheap algeacide recently. Another thing that fish are sensitive to is detergent -- DON'T use a bucket that has ever been used for cleaning for fish water.

I found out the hard way that you generally can't have goldfish and duckweed (and some other plant varieties as well) in the same pond...the fish eat it till it's GONE.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Posted By jimtyp on 05/05/2008 9:16 AM
At a vacant house nearby there is a preformed pond that is almost dry, but I noticed some small fish in it. Either Goldfish or Koi. I have a small pond myself, about 50 gallons. I was going to put the fish temporarily in my pond while I find a permanent home for them. But do I need to do something to my pond before putting these fish in it?

Let's home they're goldfish. I don't know of a preformed pond that's large enough to hold full-grown koi. See if they barbels; if they don't they're probably goldfish.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
What Brian said. Put them in a bucket of your water, and check them over for diseases. I'll bet they're ust goldfish--goldfish are incredibly tough, at least the ordinary mutt variety from the pet store are. I bought six for a quarter each eight years ago and two are still alive, but we have over twenty in their now and they hatch eggs every year. I do pretty much nothing to the pond

1 - 5 of 5 Posts