G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Hello Burl, you say you have difficulty making two items alike, well you should see my rejection rate on these louvers. I did consider using a mold for the louver sets, but I wasn't sure how to hide the mat they would sit on after installation. The paddle latches from Shapeways may I think be from one of your designs, but they were the key to getting going on these engines. I knew I could produce the louvers and hinges but the latches would have certainly been a show stopper. Anyway if they are your design, thank you.
I'm closing in on the end of that task now, but if anyone else takes on louver sets I'd sure be interested in seeing the results.
This is another earlier photo of the trio.

I've made the exhaust stacks as a single component so I can lift them out to access the switch panel, when I get that far. Building and fitting the light bulb holders for the ends is going to be another challenge, but that too will get resolved. The holes at the ends of the hoods on the side are for the marker lights, these will be covered over with the lens holders supplied by USA Trains Parts Department. A great resource I might add.
Cheers.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The paddle latches were Dirk Charmichael’s idea. I drew them & uploaded them. Was not aware anyone else was using them.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Well I've been hacking away on and off with this build, but I'm afraid progress has been quite slow....too many other projects on the go.
The steps and pilots have been completed as has the gang way tread plates. The next step will be make and install the hood lifting eyes and the hand rail/grab handles as well as the cab steps. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these yet as I may need to remove the cab without damaging the hood attachment bolt heads and grab handles located near the cab.
So this is as far as I've come in the recent months.
More to come later.
Cheers.

Note: the front grill is loose so that it can be removed for painting.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
63 Posts
i hope one day, when i grow up, i will be able to make something as beautiful as this

excellent!

what material did you use for the tread pates?

best

JKS

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I did intend to give more info on the diamond plate, so here it is. I used Plastruct O Scale diamond plate item #91684.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Terrific work Harvey !

Maybe in the future, you'll be able to 'run' the entire fleet of GMD1s down to YYC to run on the regional railway set up, at SUPERTRAIN ;) !

doug c

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for all the comments on this build.
I'm afraid they've been neglected for the past two months as I've been working on the rebuild of two USAT-CPR S3 units. These are nearly completed and when running I'll be back to the GMD1's.
Thanks for the incentive Doug, that's certainly a target to aim for. Hopefully they'll be finished and run-in by then.
Cheers,
Harvey.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I know this a bit of a blast from the past, but I thought I would share a couple of pictures from today to show that I didn't abandon this project although the thought had crossed my mind a couple of times. It's been two yeas since I last did an update on this project, but as some of us know all too well, life gets in the way sometimes.
I still have headlight lenses, glad hands and cab interiors to complete, but I'm moving in the right direction, I think??

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well we managed to have a little get together at Namao before a call to duty and of course before the latest storm arrives.

Cheers

·
Registered
515 Posts
Love the almost completed work, they really have progressed well.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts