G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started building these three GMD-1's some time ago and they've been an on and off again project for number of months and while they are still a fill-in job I think I'm far enough along that I can share some of the progress. These will require the use of the A-1-A trucks that are in the other post under that title.
I have to confess I've made a number of mistakes along the way, some would say starting them was the biggest, but it's an evolution process for me anyway and hopefully the results turn out alright.
So here we go.....again.
This is a photo of the primary components.

Long hood assembly.

More to come.
Cheers.

·
Registered
332 Posts
but it's an evolution process for me anyway ...
Add it to the adventures in model making category. And look at it this way, you will will have no regrets about not trying. :)

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the encouragement.
These are a couple more photographs of the cab development. I also found that I didn't have enough clearance for the battery so I cut an opening in the sole plate and lowered it by 0.125". This together with the angle of the hood top (12 degrees) gave enough clearance.

This photo shows the initial sole plate layout and the cutout to allow additional clearance for the battery.

More to come.
Cheers.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Looks like it has potential for sliding cab side windows.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(Looks like it has potential for sliding cab side windows.[/QUOTE])
Yes of course.
I think I've decided to eventually connect the two hoods and the cab permanently, this will give them some additional rigidity. At the moment there is some flexing in the frame when assembled and joining all three components together should eliminate some of that. I also plan to insert a brass strip behind the sides of the sole plates once the hand rails are positioned, this will provide some additional stiffness. Thinking ahead to wiring, I think having a single component body will help when doing that part.
I still have a lot of work to do on the cabs before I can get to joining it all together. Yesterday I went over to the railway museum to have a look in the cab of NAR#302 (a GMD1). Unfortunately when in CN ownership they changed the brake valves, so the hunt is on now to find an original layout photograph.
This shouldn't hold me up as I'll still have access through the cab roof when completed.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
These couple of photo's show the fuel tank development. There are a few details yet to add but this allows me to better layout the underside.

Of course this is where the speaker will be located.
Note that the tubes have a vent drilled into them for assisting the glue to dry.

This photo shows the fuel tank in position together with the air tank. The air tank is not completed yet, but allows me to check the clearance for the truck body. Note the sight glass is located but no lens yet.

More to come.
Cheers.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Note that the tubes have a vent drilled into them for assisting the glue to dry.
Ya know, that sounds like something worth remembering.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This is some more of the underside. The brass shim pads are a wear surface for truck bolsters to sit on, they are 0.015" thick. These will be glued to the location shown.

This is the development of the number board for each end, note three are narrow and three slightly wider.

This is a number board installed. Lots of fiddling to cut the number board lens holder.

The cabs have been interesting and I've made several construction alterations and now I'm doing more as I want to ultimately end up with a unibody for rigidity and better support of the frame.

Here I've opened up the ends of the cab walls to accommodate guides I'm putting on the ends of the hoods. This will allow the hoods to be installed and then the cab assembly to slide into position and lock all three main components together.

More to come,
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry about the delay in responding.

The window seals are 0.030" round styrene. Learning to bend them was quite an exercise, however, I found that holding the rods against a 100 watt light bulb for a few seconds provided enough heat to relax the styrene so I could bend it without breaking. Please don't ask how many attempts I made before "my" light went on.
Kevin, yours look very good and I'm not sure I want to do a close up photo of mine. Not yet anyway, maybe when I've done some repairs and filling.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It's been awhile now, but I'm in the process of installing the louvers, the latches and the hinges. I think all together on the three engines there are 594 louvers, 153 latches and 351 hinges.
So it might be a while before I can post any further progress, they are taking much longer than anticipated.

The door latches were supplied by Shapeways. The louvers are 0.060" 1/4 round and as can be seen need to be trimmed yet. The exhaust stacks were machined from 5/8 acrylic rod and the bolt details are from Tichy Train Group. The mesh on the air intakes are aluminum and I think I need to find something a little stronger as I keep putting my fingers through them. Leaving them off until the unit is finished would also be a good idea.
Cheers.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Very much enjoying watching your progress. Crazy question though: are you committed to doing everything in styrene? Parts where you're making the same thing over & over are good candidates for resin casting. That may be the laziness in me speaking, but I (speaking only for myself) never can build two things exactly alike.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts