G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cut up a wrecked (my first bash :laugh:) bachmann combine and now reuseing the salvaged parts but need to know what glue to use. acc or styrene goop type glue?. acc glue is for car/plane/tank models right ?. any help is great.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I've never thought of any glues as being for a specific modeling subject. Look at the application:

ACC is great for joints between materials that are non-porus (and thus won't work with white glue), not solvent-weldable (like styrene), not solderable, and any combination of the three. Epoxy is also great for these joints, is much stronger, gives more working time, and can fill gaps. It will not wick into a joint, however.

For plastics, I much prefer a very low viscosity solvent, such as MEK or acetone. MEK works wonders on styrene, while acetone is great on acrylics. Personally, I don't care for glues with any body to them. If I wanted material there, I'd have put it there to begin with.

For your combine body, I'd suggest using a solvent. MEK is readily available in hardware stores, and a pint can costs about the same as a few ounces of the same stuff in a hobby shop. If you prefer, there are a number of good products available at your local hobby shop, from companies like Testors, Ambroild, and Plastruct. Some of them work well for dissimilar plactice, where a single solvent does not do the job. For application, I prefer a fine tipped long handle paint brush.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys for the help , unfortuneatly my house has been rented out for summer so that put a curtail on the project , back to getting ideas . yours dana.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts