G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is only my test track, but it has helped me to better learn about track levelling and maintenance. I am glad I ordered the Stainless for my final track. And this test track gives me a place to run trains when the Grand kids are outside playing.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
You're a little far away, or I'd say, "I'll be right over!"

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Hey Bill,
You can bring your Holstein cow painted train when you come visit Wednesday the 7th if you want to. What a more fitting place to run it than in Holstein, Iowa.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Looking good Bill!

I need to do the same this summer! Or as soon as the weatehr cooperates! I sorely disappointed in the Walmoart Swingset though! As a two year owner of one it's not held up well and I'll likely be rebuilding it before the kids have outgrown it. For the money not worth it. I'd have been better off with HD or Lowes versions of the DIY kits.

Chas

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Um. I hate to tell you, but you've got an invasive species there by those tires. Garden railroads tend to take over everywhere. They send out runners commonly called, "track."

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Nice start, if you keep the wiggly-worm track plan, stick to the hook and loop couplers.I would actually suggest keeping it so the kids have a specific place to run "their" trains, while your running "your" trains on the mainline. I would also recommend cement morter the tunnel together nice and firm, lest one of the kids accidently sends the blocks tumbling onto the tracks (and trains)! Kids tend to use similar such items as diving boards, intentionall or unintentionally, when kids are playing they tend to forget the things they are bouncing off of can be damaged.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good point about kids climbing on the blocks. My sister-in-law visited with her two year old boy, and I was at work when they came by our house. Mother-in-law mentioned that night trains were a big hit. Then I noticed loco in the house. It's a New Bright I painted black and left in an engine house on the layout for background effect. Only the engine house is currently in an inaccessible part of the layout inside the elevated sections. I went out to check, and sure enough they had let the toddler climb all over the elvated tracks like playground equipment. One section was held up by only the track being attached, or it would have likely come down completely. Fortunately I built it with 2x4s and 2x6s to withstand large falling tree branches, so the repairs were relatively minor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts