G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Sunday my wife and I took our daughter and grandson to the Jemez (hey-mess) mountains to cut a Christmas tree. There are some interesting formations of volcanic tuff in the area. I picked up a bunch of the rocks and brought them home. They are now representations of 2 New Mexico formations.

The first is the Jemez formation. A logging RR once ran into the Jemez forests.

The second is a formation on the Cumbres and Toltec RR and is called Phantom Curve. The engineers say that a night when the loco headlite hits the formation it looks like a group of ghosts.

The third is a depiction of Lizard Head on the Rio Grande Southern. It was made from sandstone collected near my house.

I enjoy creating representations of New Mexico and Colorado landscape. Others include the cliffs near San Ysidro (Ee-see-dro) NM and the Highline on the Durango and Silverton RR. They are all far from exact replicas but I try to give some of the flavor.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Thanks for posting.
Since I am in Vermont, I'll probably never get the chance to do similar scenes with similar rocks-too much weight to carry over 2000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Pretty cool Winn ! I have one dinky rock standing on end similar to your 3rd photo. I think that odd rock formations really add to a layout.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
JJ i agree with you about to many rocks. My wife and myself picked up a lot of rocks on our last trip out west. I envey the people who live out west and have access to rocks and stones the type you have out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts