G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lucked on a chat session tonight and with reference to a GG-1 Loco or line name mentioned...

Chat lines run fast. Would anyone out there know more about this GG-1 train?

Thanks and Regards,

GG

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Yes, but why not google and see a lot of pictures.

The GG-1 is made by several companies in several scales. LGB makes one that is semi-scale, MTH makes a nice one in 1:32, and USAT makes a beautiful one. They are not cheap.

Very art deco..

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The GG-1 is probably the most beautiful loco ever built. It was an electric loco built by Pennsy and primarily ran the Northeast corridor (DC to NY) mostly passenger service but some freight too. They were in operation for over 50 years.

Look up GG-1 under locomotives - electric at http://railpictures.net
some good ones -

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/9/9/0/5990.1208497037.jpg

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/0/7/9/4079.1196258400.jpg

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/4/9/7/1497.1192647600.jpg

-Brian

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes, even a poor boy from the wild high veldt of Rhodesia has heard of the GG-1. It is however interesting to note that all the models that I have seen that have been made -have carved wooden body work. I plan to be different and use model aeroplane technique and produce a frame and the plate it with ABS sheet.

This is a locomotive which annoys rivet counters -with of course one exception....

regards

ralph

Post Scriptumn: Can something be done about the spell checker as some of us do speak american(!)

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback and yes VERY art deco....

Shame, it's missing a boiler...

Regards,

Gavin

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By ralphbrades on 01/25/2009 2:14 AM
Yes, even a poor boy from the wild high veldt of Rhodesia has heard of the GG-1. It is however interesting to note that all the models that I have seen that have been made -have carved wooden body work. I plan to be different and use model aeroplane technique and produce a frame and the plate it with ABS sheet.

This is a locomotive which annoys rivet counters -with of course one exception....

regards

ralph

Post Scriptumn: Can something be done about the spell checker as some of us do speak american(!)

Ya lost me! Whuts wronger 'bouts der speel cheeker? Us'n merrycans doan seam tuz gots da probs wid it.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
"Whuts wronger 'bouts der speel cheeker? Us'n merrycans doan seam tuz gots da probs wid it."

That's because, judging from some of the messages, most of us can't find it.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By GG on 01/25/2009 10:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback and yes VERY art deco....

Shame, it's missing a boiler...

Regards,

Gavin

Ergh, they did have boilers.

The last steam pre full switch to HEP Amtrak train run in 1982 was pulled by a GG1 if I am not mistaken.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
It wasn't that they lacked boilers for HEP... there are only 2 things wrong with the GG-1

1) they are not powered by a boiler.
2) they are not powered by a boiler.

I realize that those points are the same, but it is such an important point, that it bears repeating.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 01/25/2009 12:48 PM
It wasn't that they lacked boilers for HEP... there are only 2 things wrong with the GG-1

1) they are not powered by a boiler.
2) they are not powered by a boiler.

I realize that those points are the same, but it is such an important point, that it bears repeating.

Har... Har....

If it doesn't have a boiler..... was it a loco?

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
That is my point, they had boilers, not HEP. One of a few reasons they were retired.

And if you stop and really think about it, they were in fact powered by boilers....

My late grandfather did some work for the plans to electrify the PRR from Philly to Pittsburgh. This was in the late 1920s, and a turn in the economy spelled the end for that.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried to look up how this design worked however did not get very far. So correct or wrong:

Electricity drives electric motors which in turn drives the power train

OR

Electricity heats the boiler. Steam produced drives the power train ( effectively electricity replaces the use of coal or diesel )

If this unit uses steam as the prime driver for the power train then indeed it is not loco...

gg

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 01/25/2009 1:59 PM
The former... electricity drives the electric motors.

Glorified electric truck...

Not a loco...

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I share your sentimate, but the GG1 does have some artistic curves you just don't find in railway equipment, so it has more character than anything else that doesn't have a boiler.

http://www.spikesys.com/GG1/

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
See:

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/GG1

Wheel arrangement is 2-C+C-2
Meaning leading truck of 2 unpowered wheels
Power truck of 3 driven axles
Power truck of 3 driven axles
Trailing truck of 2 unpowered wheels

EACH power axle had two 385 HP electric motors mounted above and to the side connecting (total HP is then 385 * 2 (per axle) *3 axles * 2 trucks = 4620 HP total for the locomotive) to a gear box that then attached to the driven axle via what is called a "Quill Drive". This Quill Drive allows the axle to move in relation to the body of the truck and still be driven by the motor. The motor is thus shielded somewhat from the shocks and vibration of rolling on the track. It also allowed the motors to be larger in diameter than would be allowed if the motor was mounted directly on the axle.

There is the argument that it is not a true "locomotive" because it does not carry the power producing apparatus on-board, but runs from power generated at a stationary plant that is carried to the engines via wire (catenary or 3rd rail) and the rails (electrical ground). But most people do not understand that finer point of the semantics of the language and thus call it a locomotive because it is the part of a train that makes the rest of it move.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, nice photo and as Greg said very Art Deco in design. Pulling power if I'm correct comparable to Big Boy.

A lot of power.

Thanks for the links. Lots of reading to do..

gg

1 - 20 of 81 Posts