G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow modelers! I am a hard core N Scaler who collects Southern RR in all scales, and have landed a Southern set of G stuff for a low price and have decided to add a G oval in my workshop up in the loft, super excited, the sound alone in my 28X14" lofted cabin workshop should be awesome, and I may add an O loop alongside as well, we'll see.

SO the equipment is Bachmann (common starter for many I would guess), so my question on track, is Bachmann quality comparable to other brands? Its solid steel track, and looks arent as concerning because its overhead. I can DEFINITELY see myself on down the line running some larger locos, Aristo, LGB, USA, etc, what I have now is a simple 4-6-0 steamer, whole set $140! I would like to try and attain both US & Euro locos on down the line. I'd hate to waste the track (guess I could sell on ebay though). Thoughts?

Also, whats the go-to mounting bracket for G up high? Anything I can snag or modify at Home Depot/Lowes?

My power source - I have an old MRC DC 2500 unit I was planning on using.

I'll post pics!

Thank you everyone!

Lee

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
The hollow track is not very good long term. solid metal track is the best. For long term use, I prefer LGB as for me it just runs and runs. Of course it does cost more. My 18 year old 2-6-0 LGB mogul still runs great and has all original parts except for the shoes. And I added the LGB decoder to run it on DCC.

·
Premium Member
5,909 Posts
ts solid steel track, and looks arent as concerning because its overhead.
As Dan said, it isn't solid steel, it is hollow and it rusts. Indoors you might get a few years out of it. It is essentially valueless, so don't even think of trying to sell it! Use it for display shelves.
Bachmann makes solid brass track, as do all the other manufacturers. You can often find good deals online (e.g. Facebook swap & shop group) for used track that is already a nice weathered brown.

You will want to run other trains sometime in the future, so don't make the curves too tight. 4' radius, 8' diameter is the minimum for many larger locos. I prefer 10' radius, 20' diameter, but that won't fit your 14' loft!

I have an old MRC DC 2500 unit I was planning on using
That unit is a 12VDC with an output max of 15VAC (I just looked it up.) That isn't much for G scale trains. It will drive your 4-6-0 quite well but not very fast. Some of the multi-motor diesels you might buy are rated 24VDC and pull 2 or 3 amps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Gentlemen, thank you so much, VERY helpful, and indeed you are right, the track is the hollow type, in honesty I think I was hypnotized by the Southern G Scale factor and bought, kind of wishing I had gone for a LGB starter set, but the Bachmann engine is passable quality I hope? At least to run for my purposes?

What would be the equivelent of an 4' curve in LGB brass track?

Check on the transformer, I may start with my 4-60 and use for now, until I get a better pack!

Thanks again all!

Lee

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BUT on ebay R is rarely listed for LGB brass track, only 1100 type numbers, 1100 being most common, I'm assuming thats mm?

also, any suggestions on ceiling or wall mount hardware for decent price?

Thank you!

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Since he is going overhead, he will run the risk of trying to use R1 to keep the track closer to the corners.

As broad as you can "stand" as Mikes advice is best.

Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again Greg:) Should have made the leap in logic lol:) And yes, I'm eyeing the 5.75 Radius LGB brass at the moment, not using the lofts in the cabin so can use a wider curve.

Do you guys think an LGB 1 Amp transformer would cut it for my loop? Whats the best transformer for the money?

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Gosh, best transformer for the money? A used one :)

If you are running slow, you could find a 2 amp or more HO transformer used, like an MRC. Train won't go fast, but it will be cheap.

If you decide on drawing more current with a larger loco or lighted cars, then you need more.

Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts