G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon we had to move the cattle down to lower elevations with a stock extra. The stock extra got held up for a coal drag that was bringing winter warmth to the towns along the rails.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I got ready here today in the LOW country!! LOL Regal

Cold and some snow predicted here for Monday night into Tuesday

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt and Regal:

Thanks for the positives. Sometimes it is fun to recreate something that I have seen in my books.

Chuck

I realize that the coal train isn't quite correct. The Bachmann 2-bay hoppers were never on the D&RGW. Perhaps that is why they don't have numbers on them.

Living here in Virginia, I can run the trains through the winter season.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Randy

I'm a retired geologist. Sooo, I'm kind of partial to trains hauling something that came out of the ground. Hence, my coal drag here and my 32 car iron ore train in 1:29.

Stan:

Winter is when the "rattle worms" disappear!

Cheers,

Chuck

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Winter aint for sissies....

I've been thinking what I'm gonna do when the first flakes start to fly. I need to get a snow plow built.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Posted By Stan Cedarleaf on 23 Oct 2011 07:12 PM
What's Winter??????
Winter the day is when we have snow until noon on the ground.
Winter the season is when cars with Minnesota license plates show up.....

John

·
Registered
176 Posts
We spend a good portion of our year as winter. Even though officially winter starts Dec 21st, we typically have 30+ inches of snow by then. So I count winter the first day of snow fall till when it melts, sometime in April.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Randy:

I've been in a lot of different mines (copper, lead, zinc, uranium, molybdenum, coal (surface), and salt), but an underground coal mine isn't one of them.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jake:

There are options out there if you want a snow plow. I have three: an engine, a rotary, and a wedge.

Chuck

Then there is always the fourth option: a plastic shovel. Never use a metal one. It scratches the track and can damage anything near the track.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Love that Rotary! I just packed up my cars and figures this morning. Looks like a little ghost town now. Now it's looking forward to snow running and aparently getting a rotary snow plow as a winter goal. I always thought they were just static rolling stock. Pic sold me.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shane;

My rotary was built by Ken Orme of the Denver Garden Railroad Society about 1990. It has given me a lot of pleasure.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I am getting ready for winter by stocking up on building supplies.

I just bought 12 bags of Stucco/Mortar mix.

Friday or Saturday I am going down to the steel store and get stuff to make my car barns.

I will do a track inspection, maybe do some ballasting, Fill in holes that local gentry have dug ( with a bag like a frosting bag used to get mortar between rocks.) , and adjust the distance between the right of way and some plants that have taken root. I need to check the Tunnels for squatters.

Priority is the car barns as I don't run too much because I am too lazy to haul the stuff in and out of the train shop .

Snow? I am not concerned about.

JJ

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Chuck,

You held up a loaded stock train for a coal drag? Tsk-tsk.

Good pictures and cool snow movers. Thanks for posting.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mike:

The president of the railroad's wife was cold and there wasn't any coal in the basement for the furnace, need I say more.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
I was curious if that snowplow mounted on the bachmann k-27 actually worked as a snowplow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts