G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing the news and I am thinking it would be good to get out of the hobby. Sale all our trains.
Use the money to help the nation get bailed out.
Use our now extra time to volunteer and help the goverment.
Live on as little as possible or simply move back in with our parents!!!!!
It would be so much simplier...

Sorry, no photos.

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Right now you have a choice Marty. But, once Obama institutes the share the wealth programs, you'll be sending your $$$ and your trains to all the underprivlaged and illegal aliens so they have a train to put around their Christmas trees!

But you'll feel so proud that you helped America survive this economic desaster.

Randy

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I would reply to this but I have to go wash my slip covers on my easy chair. Reading the title and who wrote it scared the poop out of me and I made a mess on my slip covers.

Some one here owes me a box of laundry detergent.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Sorry Marty, but i am already doing all those things, except SELLING ALL MY TRAINS!!!!!Well I guess I have sold alot of em!! NOW what do I DO or is it DO DO. Hee hee The Regal

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 02/24/2009 6:42 PM
I keep hearing the news and I am thinking it would be good to get out of the hobby. Sale all our trains.

Sorry, no photos.

Marty,
You go ahead.
I'm not gonna give those thieves anymore than they can steal (or already have).
My 401K is now officially a 201K ( or is that a 4 Oh None K??)
I volunteer plenty enough as it is.
Can't move back in with the parents. They're dead, and my sister bought the house. We won't go into much more depth than I feel fortunate enough that she only comes over for about 6 hours twice a year (Thanksgiving & Christmas).
Ain't nuthin' simple about the mess that's likely to flow out of the cesspools around this great country...

THEN there WILL be photos...

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
How's that go? "Ask not what your country can do for you....."

So dig in there guys and do what you can to get things right down there. Your septic system is spilling over into my yard. Not that it effects me a whole lot. My military pension is sort of a 'wet suit' in this case but there are a lot of us plenty worried these days.

I'm taking my tax return, upgrading my open water diving certificate and buying new trains. Going to be a fine summer.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts

Sorry, no photos.

Can't much argue about a good time to sell our trains, if eBay prices are any clue.

You might as well 'Use the money to help the nation get bailed out.' Because if it keeps on, a dollar will be worth 50 cents a year from now, two years, 25 cents, etc. Just like the Carter years, which I doubt you remember. Prices will go up to compensate though, due to shortages caused by government control over vital industries--not cars, food. Agribusiness is huge. Or should that be 'was'? You do understand ethanol in our gas tanks is far more important than corn and corn products on our tables, don't you? I mean, who likes corn bread to eat when you can buy cheap bread that turns to concrete in your toaster? Ick. (Corn flakes are okay). And to think, in the '30s, the 'Revenoors' usta hunt guys like my dad, a mere 'misguided youth' who turned corn into ethanol to drink, and sold it tax free during the Depression times. Because he also liked to eat. Cheating the gov't out of taxes will get you in deep stuff. They and the bootleggers like Joe Kennedy had a lock on that trade. It's not what you know, or who you know, it's who you pay off. Do well enough, and you too can be an ambassador someplace important.

You certainly can 'Use (y)our now extra time to volunteer and help the goverment.' Because you probably will be made to, by joining 'community action groups' like ... oh, ACORN ... say. (Hey, they got 4.5 BILLION $$ for 'community action') in the Stimulus Package. Or else you and your family can just go hungry.

'Live on as little as possible or simply move back in with our parents!!!!!' Like the other bearded gentleman above, my parents are dead. My wife still has her mother, a lovely old lady of 90 to whom I tell my troubles on occasion. I'm a mere kid of 65. You, my esteemed board member, can in fact live on as little as possible. She remembers people stealing food from the garden at night. Health coverage was unknown in those days. But to compensate, seeing a doctor was fairly cheap--if you had the few dollars to pay. Wages? Fifty cents a day for a field hand. My father-in-law made 33-1/3 cents/hr at Delco Remy.

But don't fret: the 'guvamint' will take care of everything we'll ever need--except our self respect. Hey, as things look, we'll all get a subsidized converter to be able to watch the evening news extoll the New American Dream.

As soon as they figure out what that is.

Les

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Posted By Duncan on 02/24/2009 8:05 PM

Sorry, no photos.

Marty,
You go ahead.
I'm not gonna give those thieves anymore than they can steal (or already have).
My 401K is now officially a 201K ( or is that a 4 Oh None K??)
I volunteer plenty enough as it is.
Can't move back in with the parents. They're dead, and my sister bought the house. We won't go into much more depth than I feel fortunate enough that she only comes over for about 6 hours twice a year (Thanksgiving & Christmas).
Ain't nuthin' simple about the mess that's likely to flow out of the cesspools around this great country...

THEN there WILL be photos...

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I'm with JJ on that one. Dang hear had an infarction after the soiling. Duncan, Ya'll can come live with us here in Virginia. Trouble is you may have to fight my parents for the spare space. I don't know for sure but folks tell me this area has shown to be a good place for things to........... "start". A couple watering holes near by that might provide the correct "stimulus" if we were to just listen to the walls.

Why look at photo's when you can be in them!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Not sure it's wise to jump in here, but...
The last time, like this time, our government spent quite a bucketload of money to buy shares in privately owned banks and businesses. This allowed the government to make demands to the banks, now that they where the majority share holder. No fat bonuses or payraises for those scoundrels, half of them were fired, with no compensation (why do they expect compensation for doing a piss poor job?!)...

That saw a healthy increase in the capital of those institutions, then after a few years (2-5) they sold their shares whenever they could, thus getting the business back into private ownership, the government also did make a buck of these sales of course. Better than increasing taxes ;)

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I think Marty has flip his wig. Or he is smoking to many corn cobs. Not going to happen in my life time. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Marty I think the fumes from your paint/glue/solder/heater has gotten to you! Get out of the room and go outside and breath some of that clean and clear Nebraska "fresh" air! It'll do ya' good!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I am Canadian and live close to Detroit, Michigan. What is happening financially in the U.S., is having a huge ripple effect here. We are being asked the same questions to help our government bail out our economy as well. Here are some simple tips you can use to help the economy.
1. No one can better spend or manage your money better than you. Don't give it to the government.

2. Your home is your largest investment. Spend your money to better improve it's value. Upgrade the kitchen, replace that worn carpet.

3. Curb appeal not only sells a home, but it also makes people want to live next door to you.
4. Your car looking a little dull in appearance? Have it repainted and have it done locally.

5. Spend your money locally, and yes, even in a big chain store. They employ people in your town.

6. Finally, buy more trains. A hobby gives you a sense of accomplishment and inner peace. Don't give that up just because an overpaid auto executive has his hand out asking for help.

Regards, Dennis.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Marty I think the fumes from your paint/glue/solder/heater has gotten to you!

No, he just watched Obama's speach.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I think marty is trying to spurr sarcasm? I doubt he is getting out of the hobby. Then again he could be in my shoes as well.
I moved in with my parents and plan on moving out as fast as I moved in. I am too old to live with them and they make me crazier.
Selling all my train stuff except for a few engines and some rolling stock. Thank goodness for Ebay. Selling my jeep and motocycle too. Will be trying my hardest to get out of the lease on my truck and down size to a compact car that will carry me and my kids. It seems I am going back to basics. Sooner or later I will be left with what I came into this world with. NOTHING but a name.
I took out all of my 401K to pay dept. I took it out after I lost 10% of savings that took me 16 years to accumulate. Now I owe Uncle Sam a huge penalty that I do not have. Oh well maybe I won't pay for it. Then I will be put in the slammer with free room and board. HHHMMM!!!! that may be a good idea.
You guys that are retired I envy you.

Glen

1 - 20 of 60 Posts