G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't railroading unless you're thinking about the people who sell fuel for heating. Opinion on the installation and use of a geothermal system in the northern part of the United States. I figure there are many people that read MyLargeScale and some might have experience with Geothermal systems.

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
I know that making use of the constant temp 5 plus feet down makes a lot of sense for heating and cooling. In most cases the earths tempature is used as a water cooled or heated condenser in a heat pump. Air heat pumps don't work very well in the north but Geothermal is a different story. The up front cost will be higher but saved energy will pay you back.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Supposed to be a subdivision in Canada (gets posted to the oil board now and again) that uses solar concentrators to concentrate heat over the course of the summer which is then stored underground and tapped into as needed. Involves a bunch of 60-80 foot deep shafts a foot or so wide, heavily insulated. Supposed to keep the houses warm through the winter without using heating oil, natural gas, ect. I figure this idea has great potential.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well actually -yes! Here in Derbyshire we have a great expanse of Millstone grit and Bunter sandstone. The swimming pools at The Lido in Matlock are heated from the local "Hot Rocks" and my younger sister has her house "warmed" by a few bore holes in her back garden (they go down 30m or so). The up front costs are horrific -but the running costs are miniscule.

regards

ralph

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
What they are doing here in AZ is scooping out Horrific holes in the earth. Then building a concrete house. The putting the dirt back.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Bill I have two Water Furance units supplying HVAC in a 4300sq ft house for less than gas heat and electric cooling. advantages are no outside cooling unit,discharge heating temp. is 105F but the best thing going for geothermal is Federal Tax credit up to $2000 on new installations till 2016.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts