G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever made molds of the gears out of their loco's. Just need to know the does and don'ts and what the best material to use is, And I would like to cast them in metal if possible. Can you get the stuff from local stores. I.E. HobbyLobby ETC. I finally recived my Connie gears from Bachmann I ordered 2-1/2 months ago, Three full sets and was thinking metal would be better. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Jason,

I f you get to casting gears please contact me. Another gear needing reasonable priced replacements are the USA GP7/9 gears.

Andre'

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andre' I will keep it in mind and Bob, WHAT?????????

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Posted By jwvine29 on 01/27/2008 6:45 PM
Andre' I will keep it in mind and Bob, WHAT?????????

It's a computer nerdily way of saying that I doubt that the easily homecast metals or plastics can stand up to real work driving a  locomotive or whatever.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I do a little casting with "pot metals" and I have to say that they are in no way suitable for gear work. Most of my gears are either pocan, dural (US = "derin?") or "nylon66" and even the torque that I put out through my 6 Volt motors would sheer through any teeth that I could cast in "pot metals".

If you have a small lathe then it would be quite possible to cut gear wheels from brass stock or "nylon66". The latter I have used to make timing wheels for my motor car.

regards

ralph

·
Registered
691 Posts
Posted By bob7094 on 01/27/2008 6:29 PM
I dunno. It seems to me that working gears == hard && easily cast metals == soft

Bob: with syntax like that, you must be a programmer!

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Posted By Burl on 01/28/2008 6:14 PM
Posted By bob7094 on 01/27/2008 6:29 PM
I dunno. It seems to me that working gears == hard && easily cast metals == soft

Bob: with syntax like that, you must be a programmer!

Yeah, but i really should have used parentheses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts