G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of the other posts re grade and pulling power, it was mentioned Bachmanns 2-8-0 would likely strip the gears w/ a long consist. Does anyone make a gear upgrade for the Connie?

· Registered
92 Posts
Posted By tbug on 04/20/2008 4:16 PM
In one of the other posts re grade and pulling power, it was mentioned Bachmanns 2-8-0 would likely strip the gears w/ a long consist. Does anyone make a gear upgrade for the Connie?

I think Barry's Big Train makes a replacement motor system which is rock solid from what I've read, but if it's just the gearing you want to replace I have not heard of anyone doing that specifically../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

Mark

· Premium Member
35 Posts
I would not be too fretful re the Connie Gears, I have on many occasions hauled long trains, without any disastrous results, just keep it well lubricated, grease on the Gears and light oil on the moving parts and you should be OK.
Of greater concern is the awful plastics used in the tender trucks, they will eventually disintergrate, had Bachmann replace the first ones and now have fitted Accucraft trucks (Metal)./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

· Premium Member
755 Posts
Although the Connie is a reasonably powerful loco (compared to an Annie), I would still recommend common sense in loading it. Trains up to 10 cars are easily accomodated on the sorts of grades found on most railroads.

I stripped the gears in my Connie - they are nylon and teeth can be broken easily if overstressed. I was lucky enough to obtain a replacement gearset from B'mann.

Steel gears would of course be better but ... building a new gearbox is beyond my capabilities.

Regards ... Doug

· Premium Member
233 Posts
I believe Barry's conversion is for the Bachmann 4-6-0 only, to convert it to a 2-8-0...I don't believe that it will fit the outside-frame Connie.

I've got 2 Connies I have torn apart for conversions, and maybe I need to find some decent replacements for the gears....hmmmmmm.....

Anybody know anyone who makes good-quality replacement gears?

· Registered
1,643 Posts
Barry has one in development (prototype heavily tested) for the 2-8-0, Pittman motor and new gearbox.
That said, I should have new machined (not cast) axle gears for the 2-8-0.

· Registered
1,643 Posts
As soon as he gets fully into production.
He is working on it now.
That said, do you have a failure?
I've been running two HARD since first released, no failures at all.

I do have machined Delrin (I think) axles gears in stock, not cast wimpy plastic.
If you have a failed axle gear, e-mail me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.