G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very pleased to be invited to attend a Gauge 3 Society garden meeting today. The member present were most welcoming and put on an excellent display. The short film clip below includes two coal fired locomotives (the first and the last) and an excellent Bassett Lowke Flying Scotsman. I hope you enjoy the film.

If anyone would like further information on the Gauge 3 Society, their web site is http://www.gauge3.co.uk/

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
David - great env is mine! What a beautiful setting for a lot of superb models. It also shows that Gauge 3 really can be made into a conventional 'layout', just like its little H0/00 counterpart.

Much of the movie could have been full-size, especially the odd-syncopation beat of Trevor's 'FS' pulling away from rest.:)

Best

tac

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Terry,
You had to be there to really appreciate Trevor's Flying Scotsman, the slow pull away was so prototypical, not only the sound of the slow deep chuffs but the visual effect of the individual pulses of the exhaust steam. I have never seen a model perform like it. :) :) :) It was not running that fast either, just a nice steady pace and it did not need to be "handled" around the track like many G1 engines. Trevor just opened the regulator, it slowly pulled away and built up speed then ran steadily until he stopped it to add water in the tender. Altogether brilliant.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Alas, somebody has to travel to the Pacific North West to check out how our distant cousins are faring now that Messires Lewis and clark have shown us the possibilities in that part of America.

Sadly, that onerous task seems to fall to us with monotonous regularity [sigh].

All is not lost, however, as our good friend Richard Smith has gracioulsy offered to let us camp on his copious lands in return for news of the old country.

See you when we get back, sometime around...well, not sure yet.

tac & ig & cwor & erl the lobster

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi there:

Do any of the Gauge 3 hobbyists ride behind their locos on a riding car? My understanding is that a model such as the Flying Scotsman is more than capable of pulling an engineer and one passenger.

Norman

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Norman

Thanks for the question. Whilst I am no expert on Gauge 3, I was an invited guest at the steamup, I gather that there are two associations in the UK for this scale/gauge of railways. Gauge 3 are focussed on scenic railways (some raised , some ground level, and some as in this case mixed), whilst the other group, The National 2½ Inch Gauge Association prefer to operate raised tracks with the driver riding behind the loco.

I am sure this is a very much simplified account of the situation, I apologise to those involved if I have got it wrong and I invite further clarification.

I can see the benefits of both approaches. It must be very satisfying to sit behind your own loco and drive it, and equally the sight and sound of these splendid gauge 3 locos with a long rake of goods wagons or passenger cars is magnificent. Have a look at this one as an example http://www.gauge3.co.uk/pics/tg4.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts