G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completed a butane tank to be used in a loco I'm building but don't know how to go about testing it. Does anyone know how to test a gas tank? Do you test it like a boiler - hydrostatically? And to what pressure?

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Rob:
Well remember someone did test an Accucraft gas tank sort'a, maybe you can use their method. They put 70/30 B/P then poured boiling water over it - the tank proved not up to the pressure (murdering a metaphore) and exploded; only being tested during manufacture, as it turned out, to 300 not 600psi. So maybe that's a simple way? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif :D :cool:

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I have made a number of gas tanks. To test for leaks I fill the tank with a control valve attached in the off position of course and submerge into a cool, repeat cool bath of water with a drop of dishwashing detergent mixed in. Beleive me you will find any leak real quick that way. Repair leak accordingly. Mine are all Silver Brazed of thick wall brass tube I get from Small Parts.
Noel

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
There was a long discussion on this subject in Steam In The Garden a few years back. Will try to see if I can find it.
Noel

·
Registered
30 Posts
I`ve just finished building three Gas Tanks and being in
Australia we test to 300PSI, just to be sure!. And yes,
we did a Hydrostatic Test as you would a Boiler, only we
held the Pressure for 20 Minutes as a full test.

Regards,
John.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts