G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently-acquired Accucraft Mich-Cal #2 Shay runs beautifully
, but has one problem
- the gas tank filler valve seems to require a LOT of physical pressure on it to get the tank to fill, & then does NOT "spit back" when full as the valves on my 3-Cylinder (Mich-Cal #5) Shay & Ruby #11 do, making it difficult to tell when the gas tank is actually full.
I'm using a filler tube acquired from Royce at Quisenberry Station to fill the tank (works with the Asian - style 8 ~ 10 oz. butane cans, works fine with my other 2 engines); the valve assembly has clear plastic tubing connecting the filler section to the can valve, so I can actually see the butane flowing. The ONLY way I've been able to tell if the gas tank is full is when I see bubbles quit moving from the gas can to #2's tank, or move in REVERSE. Although theoretically "used", this loco was shelf-displayed ONLY by the previous owner, NEVER ran until I got it.

How would I go about removing the valve to check it
- Noting the way the top of it is made, it looks like a spanner wrench of some sort would be needed for removal (I'm assuming it unscrews); or is it adjustable
I think I could probably grind a notch in an old screwdriver blade to make my own spanner wrench, but I'd like some input from anyone who's actually disassembled one of these valves before I try anything.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Tom, there was an article on this forum I believe, it showed exactly what you described doing with a screw driver. I made one and it works fine. It just un-screws as you thought. Mine do blow back as you described. I have been told by others that slightly opening the gas valve and listening for a gurgle sound will tell you it is full, and maybe just over full. I wish mine fit that tight. Nick Jr

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Did the same thing that Nick did notching an old screw driver and it works great. My shay had a defective valve when new. Gas would not even transfer in the tank. A quick call to Accucraft and they shipped me a new one. It works perfect everytime now. I never opened the gas valve while filling. Gas spits out around the valve when full, maybe around 30 seconds or so. I use the butane adapter built by Norm Salely.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Tom,

As others have said, the only tools I've ever seen for this are homemade. Just take your Dremel and grind a slot in a small screwdriver.

It's not uncommon for one of these valves to be defective; I keep a spare in my steaming bag. I'm sure Accucraft or any of their dealers can send you a replacement. (For that matter, if you are desperate to run, Ruby's valve will fit.)

Happy New Year! Alas, no festival steamup here this year as I still can't see much of the RR. See you in May, though!

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Since it is an Accucraft valve and not a ronson they seem to go bad pretty easy...You can not directly replace with a ronson but have to use another accucraft one unless you make up an adapter. Contact Cliff for a replacement as the loco was new. I had the same issue on my 4-4-0 the filler wouldnt take gas or when it did it was just a tiny bit.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help, guys!
Took me about a minute to grind a slot into a removable screwdriver tip (I have a couple of the ones with interchangeable blades
) with a Dremel; took James' suggestion & pulled the one from the Ruby (which is on the bench for a smokebox door repair) in less than 30 seconds. When I removed the one from Mich-Cal # 2, found it to be screwed in substantially tighter
(suspect it may have been over-tightened at the factory
). After replacing it with the valve removed from the Ruby, it now seems to fill normally.
I'll probably have some info posted on my RC conversion (including very bright LED headlights!
) in the near future.
Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts