G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,am trying to find any information on a article by Chris Walas and Gary Olmstead I think the name of the article was Gary,s mountain range. We are in the process of building some rock and mountain formations and trying to get as much information as possible. Thanks for any help/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Pete --

That was a real trip down memory lane. But, there are two much more complete threads on the topic that are just after the one that Doug listed. I don't know how to search the archives efficiently, and I don't have time to just poke around. Sorry, you'll have to figure it out for yourself. If you can find where Doug's thread starts and work forward, they should both turn up fairly quickly.

The first had a title that included the phrase "cement mountians" (note the mis-spelling of "mountain"). I did not start this thread, and I don't recall who did. The original author asked a how-to question, and I ended up taking over, and going through a rather lengthy explanation.

I forget the title of the second one, but it was intially posted by TJ Lee. TJ went so far as to create a PDF that combined several of my/Chris Walas' threads, plus quite a lot of original work by TJ.

If you can't find either one, I have a possibly outdated copy of TJ's PDF here that I can send to you off line.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I have the tj lee one and have emailed him to try and talk to him by phone but he is on vacation. I will look up the post that you gave me. We have started to make some rock and a mountain/tunnel formations and looking for all the information we can get before starting the final phase of the project. I have posted a few pictures of some of the work that my wife and myself have done so far.The pictures are on the poll forum on this web site. Thanks once again for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doug i,am not real good on the computer and i cannot find the archive site to look up the information. How do iget to the archive site.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
the 1st topic in each forum is a link to the old forums...

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi Pete,

The first reply gives you the ID of the post; copy that ID (highlight then Ctrl & c to copy it, open a new tab on your broswer, the paste (ctrl & v together for both the commands from your keyboard) it into the web address space, and you should have it.

Here is the first construction ID again for you., and this time I have added some code to allow you to click on it and you should go there BUT do open it in a new tab or window so you can have both open together.

http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27107

For all MLS members and with thanks to W Jansman who told me how to do it -- here is the method - as a good number of you know to put an image up from your webspace, you use the tags 'img' and the closer at the end. The same apples for web addresses but use the (using square brackets and NOT the curved ones as I have used to show them with) (url)webaddress(/url).

That makes the web address active and the reader just has to click on the address instead of the more longwinded way as I started my message with!

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doug and peter thanks for fixing the archive post so i could see them i tried to get them open but no luck. It help me by looking at the finished work. ait has been raining for the last several days so we have not been able to get much work done. I have a few pictures posted on the poll page of this form if you care to look and let us know what you think.We have only put the burlap soaked in cement over the chicken wire. The different colors are me experimenting with liquid cement dye.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Fixed the link to TJ Lee's pdf

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doug thanks again did you get a chance to look at the pictures at the poll post on this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was just thinking would it be possible to add cement dye to the cement while it is still damp. The cement dye can be deiulted to make different shades. I mite give it a try while we are still working with the burlap/cement process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts