G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I had a wonderful chance to "REVISIT" a beautiful garden railway which has been featured in magazines. Every time I go there is something new added and this time we get a chance to see the layout via the "Engineer's" point of view in Part 1. In Part two we get down to see some of the fine details in this layout. I hope that you enjoy it. All the best, Peter.
Part 1
Part 2

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Thanks Peter.
Good video.
Some railway - not quite suited to mainline live steam, but still a great looking railway.
I remember Werner's original railway, and how he would say that it took a full week of weeding and setting out all the people prior to an open house, so for this one he must take at least double that.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks for posting these videos -- that is quite an amazing layout.

I learn a lot from looking at how other people do things on their layouts. I study their railroading intersts, their detailing, their interests in certain eras of time, certain industries, rural scenes, and urban areas. By watching videos, i see stuff i would like to emulate on my own layout, and i also see stuff i will avoid emulating. This railroad has much more of the former than of the latter -- and is a delightful example of how one can maintain a very large layout with dozens of special features.

cat
ET&WNC
East Tennessee and Western Northern California Railroad
"Take the Redwood Excursion Line to Beautiful Rock CIty"

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
David: Yes both of his layouts have been done up to perfection. The one in Langley changed elevation by about ten feet or three meters. It was also very highly detailed. Gardening is definitely a tough go. He still has the OFFICIAL LGB TOUR coming through this weekend on the 26th. After that I imagine the Tour people will be heading up to Alaska and Skagway to ride the WHITE PASS AND YUKON RAILWAY which this layout is partially modeled after. I am sure that Werner is anxious but also excited to have this prestigious group place his layout on their agenda.

jimtyp: I am only estimating the length of total track. 1300 feet of mainline and maybe another 400 feet of sidings and yard track would probably be a close figure.

Catherine : You have a good eye and yes there are many design features one can take and use in one's own layout. This is one of the main reason I visit and I know I will never achieve this magnitude in garden railroading but it is nice to dream. This layout is divided into quite a number of different scenic areas and even continents as one side is very North American and the other is mostly European plus there are the logging and industrial areas. Altogether a very well built and well thought out garden railroad.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post your kind comments and for viewing the videos.
All the best,
Peter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts