G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
The large scale community has a scale-driven segment, but also has very sizable (arguably a good majority) population that simply likes trains through the tulips. The NMRA needs to separate the two pursuits,

The G1MRA had exactly the same problem - Aster locos (scale wheels) and Bassett-Lowke (steam-roller wheels.) And no-one wanted to convert the toy-standard wheels on an heirloom 50-year-old "Flying Scotsman". Hence the adoption of "coarse" and "fine scale" standards. There's really no other solution to the problem.

We can't have it both ways. Trackwork suitable for accurate scale models, e.g. Accucraft, Aster, will not be suitable for toys. My Bachmann (Spectrum) 2-4-2T "Lyn" lurches and bounces over the switches on Clem's portable track.

Like everything else in garden railways, you have to make some tough choices.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
The NMRA serves one purpose, and one purpose only. Cheap insurance. As a club, the Michigan Small Scale Live Steamers have a one million dollar policy that covers us at all events. The catch,...... all club members must be NMRA members in good standing, and the policy only covers the members and club as a whole. Price, last year our policy cost was $90 I believe. Not bad for liability insurance for a live steam club.
As a NMRA member I also get a great price on insurance for my trains (and layout). The basic policy will insure over $16,000 for $100 per year. My insurance agent checked and found out most insurance companys either want to categorize live steam as a 'collector' policy ($$$$$), or won't touch them. I couldn't come close to the cost on my own even counting the outrageous NMRA membership dues.
Other an that, I have NO USE for the NMRA. They have done nothing for me or the large scale hobby as a whole.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
The 2011 NMRA National Convention will be in Sacramento, CA July 3rd thru the 9th and they want the Bay Area Garden Railway Society to take part. It looks like we will be holding the West Coast Garden Railway Meet the weekend after the NMRA National closes, probably Thursday the 13th thru Sunday July 16, 2011. We do not want to overlap the 2011 NGRC in Kansas, but no one knows when that is. The point I'm trying to get to is that the NMRA wants to include Large Scale and we are willing to work with them.
Russ

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just finished 2 consecutive weekend of open house garden railroad tours.

First weekend was NMRA LSR Division 2009.

Had 29 people show up. I wanted to know if NMRA members where interested in Garden Railroading.

50% of the members said they have considered adding a garden railroad and some said they are close to starting.

We would have gotten more visitors, but the convention schedule was so busy that many people had to decide if clinics or tours was what they wanted.

Other than that it was fun.

Last Saturday was our other Open House for the North Texas Annual Pond Tour, this was the 18th year for the tour. We have opened our backyard for 5 of those years but not consecutive years.

We had 130 people show up, many where repeats, some of them have come back just to see the garden railroad.

We use to have a Annual Garden Railroad tour the same weekend of the Pond Tour, but have not had on since 2005. Had some viisitors ask about that happening again.

BTW: the Temperature last Saturday was 96 degrees and the THI was 110 degrees. We ran trains from 8 am to 5 pm.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts