G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2' pony truss bridge for the crossover and a 3' truss bridge for over the pond. The grades will be 3.6% from the switch to the crossover and 3.8% from the crossover to the entrance of the lower tunnel. The lower tunnel starts at the 1st straight track before the curve closest to the tree.

Tom

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The minimum radius is 5', 1 by the pond & the other between the tree and the shed. Everything else is 8' with a few 5 footer here and there. I'm planning on running my bachmann 4-6-0 and my lgb 2-4-0. Tom

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The smallest is 5', 6.5', & 8' foot diameter curves. I'm just going to running my steam engines on this layout. I have F3's, but the rest of my diesels are too big. I had plans to build a much bigger layout, but decided I better start off small with the first layout. Here's a couple of pics of where the big layout is suppose to go.

But as you can see, the retaining wall isn't finished. It's looked like that for 3 1/2 years now.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Worked on the railroad again the weekend. Friday I dug out the location for the first tunnel.

Saturday there were 2 open houses for 2 members of the MGRS. I got a couple of ideas for making the tunnel. Neither one panned out and I decided to go with concrete. Here's a couple of pics for the progress that I made today. I got the floor of the tunnel poured.

Tom

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Finally took some pics of the tunnel progress. I used some plastic siding for the forms. I was able to bend it alot more than anything else I had seen.

Here's some pics after the forms are removed and checking clearance with cars bigger than I plan on running.

enjoy.

Tom

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
lownote,
I have 5' diameter curves on the layout. I don't think heavyweights or streamliners will make it around such tight curves. I'm planning a much larger layout in the future with 10' diameter curves for my larger equipment. I'm also planning on adding another tunnel just like the first one. It will be placed where that curved track is behind this tunnel.

Tom

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I am going to pour concrete for the cap as well. I'm planning on back filling both side of the tunnel before I put the cap on. Once the tunnels are finished and all the dirt is in, you'll see why I went with corner tunnels.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It rained this morning, but I took my Bachmann 4-6-0 and 1 of the passengers cars out for clearance measurements. Here's a couple of pics that I took showing the clearance.

It's close, but I think its acceptable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.