G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi Joseph,
Here are the items I used:

4 of Hitec HS-65HB servos (modified for continuous rotation)
1 of Castle CC BEC (adjusted to about 5.5V output)
1 of Benedini TBS Mini sound card
1 of Spektrum AR6210 receiver.
2 of 5mm warm white LED for spotlights
1 of 3mm warm white LED for taillight
1 of BC robotics adjustable output LED board.
1 of Visaton FRS7 speaker

I use a Spektrum DX6i that allows basic servo mixing and Thomas Benedini programmed the sound board so that I could use the landing gear toggle switch to start and stop the motor.

You have quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to what parts you use--just a matter of filing more or less plastic. :)

Keith

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Keith, is your build documented/presented on the GAL Lines web site?

What you did and how you did it would be great to share and archive for the community. I personally want to follow in your footsteps here.

Would you be amenable to posting it on some site somewhere? I know you went to a lot of trouble to sus it out.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Keith, is your build documented/presented on the GAL Lines web site?

What you did and how you did it would be great to share and archive for the community. I personally want to follow in your footsteps here.

Would you be amenable to posting it on some site somewhere? I know you went to a lot of trouble to sus it out.

Greg
Hi Greg,

No, this is the only place it's documented right now, but I'd be happy to have it posted somewhere else too if it will help.

Keith

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
I'd be happy and honored to host the pictures and text on my site, I think it's a great build and you have tips that would really help others trying to motorize the unit.

These are the kinds of things I try to put on my site, stuff that is not somewhere else, that will help people with a specific issue.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'd be happy and honored to host the pictures and text on my site, I think it's a great build and you have tips that would really help others trying to motorize the unit.

These are the kinds of things I try to put on my site, stuff that is not somewhere else, that will help people with a specific issue.

Greg
Sure, go for it Greg, and if Alan wants to post a link to the build info he can always do that too.
Let me know if you need anything else...

Keith

·
Registered
207 Posts
In order to do any actual lifting of any weight, you will need to activate the outriggers, and then how about the traction power....those cranes were self propelled....

Nice kit, and good modelling....thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
In order to do any actual lifting of any weight, you will need to activate the outriggers, and then how about the traction power....those cranes were self propelled....

Nice kit, and good modelling....thanks for sharing.
Thanks Friar! You're right--you defiitely need the stabilizers for a lift. With the weight of the battery and speaker in the tail it wants to tip backwards slightly without a load on when you swing sideways. You can counter that by lowering the boom slightly, so overall it's balanced really well. Yesterday I tried lifting up a big RhB passenger car and it became obvious quickly that I needed to use blocking, but it has so much reduction/power on the main hook that didn't even slow down the winch once I had it all blocked.
As for traction power, not all were self-propelled and since my intention was to have it accompanied by my SD40-2(w) I chose not to add that complication. It wouldn't be hard to do, though, maybe a small friction drive onto one of the axles would be all it would need. Maybe a good winter project!

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi guys,

Alan and I have decided it would be a good idea to create a separate set of instructions for those wishing to make their crane r/c, so I will be writing this when I get time and he will provide them to the kit buyer. I think every working garden railway needs one of these bad boys they're so much fun to use! :)

Keith

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Great build and thank you for sharing. I have the original one that I had Alan design. It also was powered the same way but without sound. That was a nice touch. Unfortunately it was destroyed in a car accident on the way to the York LS train show along with two NYC E-8s. It was going to the model contest and to show Alan. Have pieced it back together, almost complete, using the leftover spar material from the original sheets. Alan was gracious and offered to supply any needed parts. But I am almost there though it will not be powered anymore. Still have some control issues with the hands from the accident (got T boned going through an intersection by a loaded 10 wheel dump truck that lost its brakes) so it is a little tough going as far as model making goes. But getting there. I have so many projects backed up but will get them done, this was my favorite. Jack

21 - 32 of 32 Posts