G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
yeah someone let us know I know a guy who might sell off all the airwire stuff he has if it works better!!!!!!hee hee LOL The Regal Frustrated in West. Ne.

Truly I guess no gripes other than the range issue i'm having other than that It works for me.

·
Super Modulator
21,610 Posts
That throttle will be manufactured by NCE. I talked to them several weeks ago about this.

It was unintentionally leaked prematurely.

NCE has a policy of not announcing products until they have firm delivery dates. There is no firm date at this time.

I have NCE equipment and am very happy with the quality and especially the support from their team and specifically the support they have given me.

So wait for the announcement from NCE. I have the same form factor throttles for my NCE wireless cabs that run my DCC track powered system.

I will purchase one just as soon as they are available. I think it will be a killer cab for all AirWire systems.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll take the throttle. Looking at the new Gwire Procab I don't think I'll like the speed control would rather have a knob vs. the little roller and push buttons.
Later

·
Super Modulator
21,610 Posts
Yep some people prefer a knob. I was unsure about this when I bought my NCE system, but with the thumbwheel, one hand operation is easy, you need two hands to use the knob... one to hold the cab, and the other to hold the knob.

It's all a matter of how well it works for you.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
21,610 Posts
Actually, the NCE cabs pre-date the new TE by about 10 years...

But, I don't see the similarity at all... one looks like an old cell phone with just numbers, the other has many keys labelled for bell, whistle, consisting, speed, loco number, etc.

Old cordless phone case: Custom designed throttle for trains:

I showed the procab without the wireless, they have the same buttons...

21 buttons/controls versus 35....

Regards, Greg

Greg

·
Registered
818 Posts
No question, the NCE transmitter/throttle has more buttons with specific designations. The alternative with just the numbers does offer a little more flexibility if that is important to someone. My observation is that the NCE does more with specific buttons, for example consisting. The Revolution is more a menu driven operation with the larger LCD screen. I guess it is which you prefer, menu driven operations or specific buttons. I can see merit to both techniques, although personally I kind of like the menu driven operation.

Ed

·
Super Modulator
21,610 Posts
Actually Ed, with an LCD screen you can ALWAYS add menus, the NCE has some menus, and the TE RELIES on menus because it does not have "dedicated" buttons.

It boils down to how users like to use the system, and how many "levels" of menus you have to go through to "get to" your function.

On the NCE you need no menus to select a loco... that is NOT true on the TE.

On the NCE you need no menus to create or add to or delete a loco from a consist, on the TE it is a complex procedure and involves reprogramming of the loco.

How about ringing the bell or blowing the whistle on the TE? Even someone who has never used an NCE can see how to do it on the NCE.

No, I strongly disagree, I think that Aristo missed the boat here, and added more features, but "hid them" in menus, and overall make using these features more difficult.

I've been in engineering since 1969, most of the time in software for consumer devices... you CANNOT have a lot of features without complicating the user interface.... you either have more buttons or more menus.

I'll take the buttons in this one.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
818 Posts
I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree, Greg. I've been in engineering since 1960, working in electronics and software controlled equipment, and I like the menus better than a myriad of buttons. When I want to activate a horn or bell, I just push one button. And once locomotives on the Revolution TE are set up for consists, adding them and deleting them is a simple process too.

Guess that is why both versions are offered, to take care of different preferences. One isn't better or worse than the other, just different - different strokes for different folks!

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Edit... Oops wrong thread! Post deleted...

Edit again... Here is what I wanted to say in this thread...

I like well thought out logical menus and enough buttons to make them worthwhile.

I have a new digital TV that has neither! In one menu some buttons do one thing and in another menu the same buttons do something different. Obviously different sections of the software were written by different programmers and none had a clear understanding of what the others were doing to produce a cohesive uniform human interface.

I also have a new security camera that has nice menus, but I cannot get from one to another without working up and down long trains of entries and I find that I want to alter two settings to see how they interact and I have to change one, then go to another menu several levels up and then back down to see how it interacted with another setting, or switch to another entry to see the result. PAINFUL.

What little bit I have seen done with the various toy train controls leaves me wondering just what the person that created them was thinking. Traversing up and down menus to get to commonly desired controls and at the same time disabling access to some other control is not helpful. Having to remember which train is which engine number based on which LED is lit on the control means I can select to stop the wrong train. If I am wanting to blow the whistle on one train I might accidently reverse some other train if I get confused on menu entries and selected trains...

But on the other hand, if I want to control many functions on multiple trains with one button for each function of each train that would require an awful lot of buttons to fit on something that I can cradle in the fingers of one hand and control with just my thumb wrapped around it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
C.T., I think you have summed it up pretty well. There is a balance between menu complexity and number of buttons. THis is where each individual's preferences comes to play. Most of the Beta users on the ARisto Revolution have liked the balance on this unit. Others may not. As I was saying to Greg, this doesn't make one right and the other wrong; it just means we each pick the one we are most comfortable with.

Ed

1 - 20 of 64 Posts