G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
302 Posts
The most popular of the commercially available "Large Scale" scales are: 1:20.3, 1:22.5; 1:24; 1:29; and 1:32. For the most part, 1:20.3, 1:22.5, and 1:24 commonly represent models of narrow gauge prototypes (U.S. or overseas), while 1:29 and 1:32 represent models of standard gauge equipment. So, I guess a first question you might want to ask yourself is do you want to model U.S. (or some other) narrow gauge or would you prefer to model U.S. (or some other) standard gauge? That will help to narrow things down a good bit.

I suspect that the majority of U.S. modelers who are plowing snow in their yards with their trains are operating in 1:29 scale for the most part. I do know a good number of garden railroad enthusiasts who have, operate, and enjoy, both 1:29 scale and 1:32 scale. Actually, all of the scales mentions operate on the same 45mm track gauge, so once you have some track down you can operate whatever you like. I wouldn't recommend mixing 1:20.3 and 1:32 in the same train because it's going to look quite odd, but it's your railroad and you can darn well do as you please!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.