G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keep posting pics and info, all good. I like seeing the different views of the different brands and contrasting what should be the same type cars.

If a modeler really knew their craft, they would be arguing about the actual sizes of the real piece of rolling stock by brand/model/year/location manufactured... and only then bring up their dissatisfaction with the toy manufacturers and the mistakes of scale ;-) There have been over 270 companies making the actual rolling stock over the years, and even more who made the locomotives. I think most people are pretty clear that the scales vary and the toys may not even match the scale stated due to rubber rulers and toy designers making toys that work well with the brand rather than worrying about accuracy on a 60' boxcar model that may be a fraction off the scale actual thing. For the guys who want to obsess over the scale of your rolling stock... was the real thing made by Wells & French, or maybe South Baltimore Car Works... and what were the actual dimensions? (pot stirred) I know there are guys out there that may know that stuff and be on their game :) That said, I think the real rolling stock in the older days must have also had quite a variance before stricter standards. I may be wrong. For myself, I've only had to remove one brand from the collection, and that was MTH (1/32) as it just didn't look right, and only because I didn't have complete trains with these MTH products

When I was a kid over 50 years ago I recall standing by the tracks and having freight trains run by with all kinds of various sized cars, of what would have been the same type of cars, and I never once thought that they should all be identical. Today I'm one of the folks that simply enjoy seeing the toy trains run around my modest oval. When I was a detailed modeler in a smaller scale, I only stressed on the reality of my model, not the size between brands unless it just looked out of place which was rare with smaller scales and the scale was pretty uniform.

I enjoy the trains and the info here. What I dislike is when someone is told to stop posting as someone else has done similar before. Many times I find that the info is different, or incomplete, even in the case of the big name model experts on the forums so don't let people stop a thread when more info is always good :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think the scale thing is more for the modeler model railroader and not so much for the runner railroader. As I'm a modeler first and a runner second so being in the correct scale is what I do, but for those who just want to run trains, go for it, it's a hobby enjoyed by many and it's your choice. I would personally like to see layouts that if they run different scales of large trains to have each train consistent to be the same scale, that is, USA TRAINS to be all 1/29th, LGB to be all 1:22.5, etc., this way the different sizes don't standout beside each other.

trainman

·
Super Modulator
21,041 Posts
The scale argument is like going down the rabbit hole, you will go around endlessly.

One productive direction is rolling stock that is indeed "visually compatible" when the "specifications" don't lead you to believe this, as in the examples I gave.

Back to stopping people posting, my intent was to point out there are quite a few threads on several forums with extensive pictures and examples, and searching for them would be more productive (in my estimation).

The reality of this thread shows that to be true, seems that no one has gone to the trouble to link to other threads to show these examples.

Of course I am still guessing the "intent" of this thread, and am hoping that more energy can be expended into finding these great threads that I know I have read in the past.

Greg

·
Registered
134 Posts
Forums are just that way, they revolve all the time. If you visit a forum you will see over time that most things get rehashed over and over, but new member deserve and answer and telling them it's old stuff doesn't really help them, or give them the answers they need.

trainman

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
I model in LGB scale 1:22.5 and as you know, or may not know LGB is long gone except for for what you find on eBay, or train shows. Since I'm a modeler in that scale all being said, I have not found that modeling has slowed me down any, as I repaint and redue all my rolling stock and engines. Biggest problems are with engines and as you know LGB has made very few American styled engines over the years, I 'm only interested in there diesels, so it's pretty slim pickens. I don't count different paint jobs as a different styled engine as I redue everything. So for those new in the large scale hobby pay attention the scale, otherwise you can endup with with many mismatched scales.

trainman
Where did you hear that LGB is long gone. We are shipping it daily.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I only purchase LGB in American style engines and rolling stock in in the styles that they produced back in the 1980's, 1990's, and 2000's. Those models are long gone from there production of today, the F7's are still produced as well as maybe some steam engines, and some rolling stock in the American style. For me LGB has not produced any American diesel engines with the exception of the F7's, so for me they don't offer anything I want. So for myself LGB is pretty much dead and there new production models are too high priced to repaint and add detail to for my liking. The new LGB is no where close to the old LGB of the past. I realize the diesel market has moved on to companies like USA Trains 1/29 scale and other, but LGB scale offers nothing like it did in the past. So since I'm pretty much locked into what I have to work with and at the age where I really don't care to purchase more, I will just stick whit what I have and I have plenty to work with.

trainman

·
Registered
40 Posts
I only purchase LGB in American style engines and rolling stock in in the styles that they produced back in the 1980's, 1990's, and 2000's. Those models are long gone from there production of today, the F7's are still produced as well as maybe some steam engines, and some rolling stock in the American style. For me LGB has not produced any American diesel engines with the exception of the F7's, so for me they don't offer anything I want. So for myself LGB is pretty much dead and there new production models are too high priced to repaint and add detail to for my liking. The new LGB is no where close to the old LGB of the past. I realize the diesel market has moved on to companies like USA Trains 1/29 scale and other, but LGB scale offers nothing like it did in the past. So since I'm pretty much locked into what I have to work with and at the age where I really don't care to purchase more, I will just stick whit what I have and I have plenty to work with.

trainman
As far as I know the only American models they have not reproduced since 2007/2008 are the Amtrak Genesis and Amfleet models. And what they have reissued have included periodic upgrades, recent examples including cylinder steam in the moguls and new handrail details on the F7s. They also introduced the all-new American gang cars. Not sure how that qualifies as "long gone".

·
Super Modulator
21,041 Posts
There is a big difference between these two statements:

"LGB is long gone"

AND

"I only want to buy LGB of a certain time period"

The first is incorrect factually, the second a personal opinion/preference, nothing to do with the existance of the company.

Greg

·
Registered
134 Posts

"LGB is long gone"

AND

The first is incorrect factually, the second a personal opinion/preference, nothing to do with the existance of the company.

Greg
Well thanks for correcting everything I post on this forum, being the final word on model trains must give ones self great personal satisfaction. Thanks for making me on this forum feel inferior to your knowledge of just about everything regarding model trains.

trainman

·
Super Modulator
21,041 Posts
I was not the first person to correct you on your statement on this thread, seems it's OK for you to criticize me, but no one should criticize you.

Perhaps you should abstain from making statements like 'lgb is long gone".

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
"LGB is long gone"
AND

The first is incorrect factually, the second a personal opinion/preference, nothing to do with the existence of the company.
Greg
Semantics, gentlemen. Greg is a stickler of the correct expression of the English language.

Well thanks for correcting everything I post on this forum, being the final word on model trains must give ones self great personal satisfaction. Thanks for making me on this forum feel inferior to your knowledge of just about everything regarding model trains.
I am constantly amazed by the bristling and angry replies people make when someone points out their posts aren't exactly consistent. Greg manages to cause this on a regular basis.

Lighten up guys. He's just one person with an opinion, Your post/opinion is just as valid. Why even reply?

·
Registered
134 Posts
If the moderators of this forum do not control the content that is posted, then this forum will continue to be like it is, thus there are other forums on large scale that are more controlled and are much more informative then this one. All being said, we all have control of our computers and at the touch of a button we can hit the "D" button and you can be gone, now where is that button.

trainman

·
Registered
686 Posts
Trainman, can I interpret "If the moderators of this forum do not control the content.. " to mean that you advocate censorship? That would be counter productive for a forum. Merriam-Webster defines forum " a public meeting place for open discussion".

And should censorship happen, who would be the deciding authority on what gets cut away? Should we cut away all erroneous posts, or inaccurate posts? How about misleading posts, or maybe personal opinions. I would not put that responsibility on any moderator or fourm owner, that would be a good way to kill a froum.

In my opinion, one should be prepared to either defend ones statements, or accept criticism if demonstrated to be incorrect.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just to keep the "Games" going; I have to ask, expecting many answers from great thinkers...."Why do some people, obviously with rather great egos, always want to fight to have the last word...?.......!!...this should arouse some great, productive, comments....!!
As part of the audience; I must say, "This show is getting to be exciting"....!!!

·
Super Modulator
21,041 Posts
Not exciting, the hypocrisy of the egos of people sitting in judgement of others is rather sad, how many times have you berated others for going "roundy-round" Fred? You are indeed no saint.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.