G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought i would start a thread showing various G scale rolling stock and or engines side by side for size for comparisons. For those new to the hobby, such as myself, i think this would be very helpful. Please feel free to add any G scale size comparison pictures you may have.

First up, Lionel next to MDC

Next up Piko and maybe MTH ,, (when i can afford them) ;)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ditto what Greg said. Lots of information out there, even if some is not so easy to find.

I would ask "What it the end game of this thread?" There are so many factors that affect the physical size of a piece of model rolling stock. I have never mastered searching Shorpy, but there is a photo on there of a rail yard, sometime 20s or 30s which shows box cars of all differing sizes. Some small enough to possibly be narrow gauge proportions.

Size of rolling stock is really a function first of all, "What are you modeling?". I model in 1:20.3 narrow gauge, my wife loosley models ACL. I am more tight lined on what I run with what rolling stock (unless at a show where anything goes, the children don't care). My wife LOVES her billboard reefers and colorful (even if sometimes not so prototypical) rolling stock.

If you are going to model a specific railroad/era, research needs to be done to determine what power and rolling stock ran, and when it ran. This can limit the availability of 'scale' rolling stock for your purpose. There are those that are strictly interested in 'prototypical operations', where it could almost be reduced to a block of 2 x 4 with a label attached that describes what the car is with it's identification numbering. Those who typically run 'roundy round' for the enjoyment of seeing a train run (at home) or at a show for the enjoyment of the visitors, I don't believe size matters. As an example, I have a Bachmann K27 that is 1:20.3 scale. At shows I have run 30 car trains of mixed USA Trains, Aristo Craft, LGB, Delton, and a couple other lesser brands, scales from 1:32, 1:29, 1:24 and 1:22.5. The K27 would NEVER have pulled such a train in prototype, but long trains are what the visitors come to see. I have never had someone tell me 'that isn't prototypical. When doing that I don't mix the 1:20.3 rolling stock in because the size difference is too dramatic, but the others play fairly well together.

When you add in that on 45mm track there are so many scales, no manufacturer is going to do a run of a specific car in all the scales. Unfortunately, ours is a hobby of compromise. I don't believe there are too many places where true scale curves can be run. We seriously compromise where even a 20 food diameter circle of track is terribly small, even for prototypical narrow gauge, much less modern main line. I live near by Genessee & Wyoming Bay Line Railroad and pass their yard frequently. Even in this modern era there a box cars of differing size and proportion are very evident.

If you are scale 'centric, or era 'centric or both, to get what you want I would plan on lots of kit bashing and scratch building. The cost of laser cutting and laser cutters in general have come way down in the last 5 or so years, as has the cost of 3D printing.

For what it is worth.......

PS ... I have deliberately ignored the economic side of this discussion.

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
When I drove to Vermont from Massachusetts years ago I saw a north bound train with 3 boxcars in a row, and none looked the same.they had length and height differences. So I do not care about making them match on my RR as they do not always match in the real world.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Since someone has unfortunately put the kabash on this thread, let me say thank you to the OP for trying. Personally, I don't feel like searching all over the internet on this subject matter and was hoping someone would come along and enlighten us with a few pictures of various manufacturers and their train cars side by side. Such as.......Delton and MDC next to Bachmann next to Aristo and USA Trains next to LGB, etc. Too bad the thread was squelched so fast. Oldnoob, look here for manufactures and their scale sizes here: G scale - Wikipedia

·
Registered
341 Posts
These Old heads do that pretty much every time. “The thread police”. Keep it going if you would like!!!.

Case in point... I seen a post about trading a Mason Bogie live steam for an electric version.. yes I saw it was an 8 year old post but no one had said anything on his post. So I did the same.. hear came the thread Police 👮 🚓...and I won’t name point. And I let him know what I thought about that issue...
But guess what I’ve had my Live Steam Bogie for a few years now and love it. So keep it going what are they going to do? Cry a river is about all.

Jason

·
Super Modulator
21,049 Posts
Since someone has unfortunately put the kabash on this thread, let me say thank you to the OP for trying. Personally, I don't feel like searching all over the internet on this subject matter and was hoping someone would come along and enlighten us with a few pictures of various manufacturers and their train cars side by side. Such as.......Delton and MDC next to Bachmann next to Aristo and USA Trains next to LGB, etc. Too bad the thread was squelched so fast. Oldnoob, look here for manufactures and their scale sizes here: G scale - Wikipedia
translation: I'm too lazy to do the research myself, and I want someone to do it for me....

Fine, but don't complain that you are not getting help because you are lazy.... and it's "kibosh"...

Thread not squelched, just that this is EASY to find on the Internet, I am more interested in helping people who put out the effort first...

Greg

·
Registered
686 Posts
WOW, what a place to pick up mis-information. G-Scale Wikipedia is full of errors and assumed information.

Arisot-Craft Classic line was the older Delton line that Aristo-Craft purchased. Aristo-Craft started as REO and changed the name when a suit was brewing.

Bachmann is 1:22.5ish. Some stuff scales out close to 1:22.5, others closer to :24. Spectrum line is truley a 1:20.3 scale line of product. The street cars are re-introduces Aristo-Carft molds. (The secret here is that Kader of China owns Bachmann and all the Aristo-Craft molds. Aristo is gone, Bachmann is not. Big dollars invested in molds, you do the math.)

Hartford Products (no longer in business) was 1:24 and 1:20.3. Hartford NEVER produced 1:22.5 under his name.

LGB is 1:22.5ish using a rubber ruler. They made durable stuff, but scale fidelity was never their strong suit.

As for the track gauge, some one needs to fix their calculator. 45mm is NOT 1.75 inches, it is 1.7716 inches as shown in the current G1MRA standards. A fellow poster and I had a tussel over that and he showed me an older G1MRA standard showing 44.45mm or 1.75 inch gauge. Not the mixed message presented in the Wikipedia. I am sure If I spent some time I could present more, these are just the glaring miscues.

As for putting a kibosh on this thread, I did nothing of the sort. I am still waiting for an answer to my opening question. The rest is simple observation. If you are, as Greg suggests, looking for someone else to do your homework, I am not your guy. I didn't do my children's, I don't do my grandchildren's, and I certainly am not going to do your homework. If my answers were not to your liking, so be it.

Based on your posts, I don't expect an answer from either you or the OP.

·
Administrator
5,715 Posts
This is a forum for large scale trains that run primarily on 45mm track. So long as questions pertain to that topic, all questions are welcome. It doesn't matter if they've already been asked 10,000 times and multiple threads are buried in the archives - which themselves have been damaged and/or degraded by the loss of photos, etc.. Besides, some are not as Internet or Search savvy as others.

If a member sees a question they don't wish to answer, simply skip it with no comment and move on, or report it if you must and let a REAL mod deal with it as they see fit. Members are NOT moderators, though a few like to think they are. DON'T berate the one asking of the question!! 'Nuff said.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Yes, some basic research will reveal the range of scales that run on 45mm track, and the extremes clearly won't fit together -- the mismatch is glaring! But I think there's an underlying question -- how much variability between cars are you willing to ignore, accept or at least tolerate?

In that regard, I'm afraid it's often a case of 'ignorance is bliss.' Some of us will look at the photo that Jason has posted above and think "yeah, that's okay." And I sincerely wish them well! But when I started getting into 1:20.3 Narrow Gauge, I was able to go and look at the prototypes, both in Colorado and California. And when your eye learns to distinguish the differences, out-of-scale equipment will just make your consist look.. well, toylike! Then you might as well be running Lionel! (Some of my best friends are Lionel folks, but I don't feel like we're in the same hobby.)

By the time I got 'narrow-minded' I had already accumulated stock in various scales. But nowadays, I run my 1:22 stock with my 1:22 locos, and ditto for some really really nice 1/24th scale.

In fact, look at Gary Lee's layout up north (don't remember the name). Beautiful layout, extraordinarily prototypical modeling, but EVERYTHING is 1/24th scale. And if you ask Gary, he'll tell you that his track is 42" between the rails!

So I guess scale happiness lies not necessarily in fidelity, but in consistency?

retreating from soapbox..

-Gary-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Back in the 1980s when early adopters of one manufacturer or another were bragging that they had the only truly scale models (yes, folks were doing that), I actually bought one of each and took a tape measure to them. Of course, the playing field has changed dramatically, but it is worth noting that PIKO took over several of the MDC molds, so I would guess that you could substitute PIKO for MDC boxcar measurements in the chart on this page. Maybe I'll remember to measure my one PIKO boxcar next time I have it out of the box.

P.S. AristoCraft started out as REA, not REO. Great car and band, though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The only time I ever had anything published in one of the train magazines was long ago and it pertained to scale. Can't remember the magazine, but it is long, long gone and was about G stuff. So people had argued that different scales should be considered the official g scale and all else should go away. The big problem back then was the different scales made and the advertisers and sellers never mentioned the scale of what they were selling. My comment that got published was that I enjoyed a variety of the products for sale and would hate to see any not produced anymore because of some decision on what is true G scale. It was disappointing when one bought say a car detail part and found that it didn't go with the cars you already had because it wasn't the correct scale. I said what needed to be done was the stating of what the scales were of the items for sale. Maybe I got my way.

There is the stuff about how a 32nd scale car may look correct as a narrow gauge car in like 22.5 scale and all of that. And then like maybe running a smaller scale in the background and figure it will look farther away. Or maybe just don't care and run what you brung.

Doug

·
Registered
134 Posts
I model in LGB scale 1:22.5 and as you know, or may not know LGB is long gone except for for what you find on eBay, or train shows. Since I'm a modeler in that scale all being said, I have not found that modeling has slowed me down any, as I repaint and redue all my rolling stock and engines. Biggest problems are with engines and as you know LGB has made very few American styled engines over the years, I 'm only interested in there diesels, so it's pretty slim pickens. I don't count different paint jobs as a different styled engine as I redue everything. So for those new in the large scale hobby pay attention the scale, otherwise you can endup with with many mismatched scales.

trainman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excuse me, but I'm going out to run trains with my grandkids. I know for a fact that none of them gives a hoot about scale. THAT is why I'm still in the hobby after 25+ years.
Maybe I will check back on this "discussion" later, but probably not. I see it heading to the " chicken or the egg" type of debate. No real answer on that one either. 🙄

·
Super Modulator
21,049 Posts
Well, you can find many examples of comparisons... but still unclear as to the reason by the OP for the thread....

Some people have wildly mixed scales it does not bother them, some are very fastidious...

The most common is something like does a 1:32 MTH Challenger look ok with 1:29 Aristo heavyweight cars (it does).

Next most common is does LGB F7 diesels (about 1:26) look good with the 1:29 streamliners by aristo or usat (they do not)...

Those are the best and most common examples.... in 1:20 you can mix and match rolling stock and it looks very realistic

but steam locos are in many scales, and sizes and they don't mix well...

That's all I know that I think is helpful...

Greg

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.