G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm pretty new to this - I'm looking to put together a track setup around my tree this year with some old LGB trains I found from when I was younger. I don't have the track anymore and am currently searching everywhere for a set that makes up a circle 36" or less since my space is limited. I have looked into flex track but I don't want to invest in a rail bender only for this project. It would be great to get something pre-assembled. I know HLW and Aristo Craft had once made smaller radiuses but there is nothing to be found online. I've been searching ebay for the Aristocraft ART-11140 (21" diameter circle) and ART-11145 (32" diameter circle) with no luck yet. If anyone has any recommendations or knows anyone doing custom rail to order please let me know. Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Super Modulator
20,576 Posts
JP, find your local club, and see if they have a bender to loan, then bend up some brass rail.

Yes, those custom small circles are very hard to come by, I have both the Aristo sizes and fend off offers to sell them several times a year!

Greg

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a circle of Bertram Heyn's R0 track. It works out to about 32" diameter. It is NOT cheap, but at least it is available. As I recall the 16% VAT gets subtracted from the cost and I am not sure if you can get things shipped from the EU right now. I found his rustic looking ties to be very brittle, ended up replacing all of them the LGB flex track ties.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JP, find your local club, and see if they have a bender to loan, then bend up some brass rail.

Yes, those custom small circles are very hard to come by, I have both the Aristo sizes and fend off offers to sell them several times a year!

Greg
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check that out.

I have a circle of Bertram Heyn's R0 track. It works out to about 32" diameter. It is NOT cheap, but at least it is available. As I recall the 16% VAT gets subtracted from the cost and I am not sure if you can get things shipped from the EU right now. I found his rustic looking ties to be very brittle, ended up replacing all of them the LGB flex track ties.
Oh, wow. This is what I've been looking for but you're right, not cheap! I'm going to look into it though. If I can get it shipped here in a reasonable amount of time then I just might have to do it. Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
I bent 8 foot flex track and got a 29 inch circle. I run Kadee body mounted couplers on LGB short FRR cars and HLW short kit cars. Since it is one piece of track it can be stored hung on a wall!!

·
Super Modulator
20,576 Posts
I was going to say, that for the cost of that circle from Europe, you could probably buy a used rail bender outright and 8 feet of flex track.

Bending rail is fun, I have 2 benders.

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts