G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any garden railroaders/clubs in [email protected] url(http://www.mylargescale.com/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/CEHtmlEditorProvider/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);@import url(/providers/htmleditorproviders/cehtmleditorprovider/dnngeneral.css);

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Elcamo
I am in Massachusetts. I belong to New Hampshire garden railway society. There is two clubs I know of here in Mass. They are Rusty Rails and Rotten Ties and Inner City Garden Railway club of Boston. I think there is a club also near Cape cod. Hopefully someone else will chime in with info on these clubs. I would like to be more active in a club, but my kids sports is driving me right now.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Elcamo,
I belong to the Rusty Rails and the Boston Inner City groups. There is also a loose knit group on Cape Cod. The Rusty Rails meet every second Saturday of the month. I also belong to the Central Connecticut G Gaugers. Most of the members of the Boston Inner City Group also belong to the Rusty Rails.
There is a G gauge get together coming up the first weekend of June: http://www.tttrains.com/nels2012/
Please feel free to contact me with any questions about the clubs or the get together.

Regards,
LT

·
"Rocky Canyonero"
464 Posts
The NHGRS is having a show this weekend (Mar 31 and Aprl 1) near the MA border in Milford, NH. Great chance to introduce yourself. We have about 100 mdules set up on our large layout in the gym....and two smaller sets in the cafe...one for live steam. I'll be there on again on Sunday, hope to meet you there.
-Jeff

·
Registered
445 Posts
Welcome!
It would help if you told us were your from?
Small group, we all seam to know each, you're more than welcome to come to any meeting.
Sean

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Hello,

I'm a newbe to live steam. I too live in Massachusetts only out west. I live in Granby, MA and would like to know if there are any small scale live steamers in Western Mass, CT, VT that would like to start a club of some kind here in Western Mass.

Chester Louis
Hampshire County Narrow Gauge

·
Registered
61 Posts
Chester,

the Pioneer Valley live steamers website indicates they have a gauge one track on alum tables, have not seen it though.

Al P.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I live in Western MA, and I've approached the Pioneer Valley ride-behind club about G1 live steam on a couple of occasions. To put it mildly, they're not interested -- one member I asked wanted to know how many people a G1 live steam engine could pull, and was very clearly unenthusiastic when I told him that wasn't what small-scale live steam was about. There's a very small loop of track on a metal table on the PVLS property. I was told that it was intended for track power.

I also learned from another source that PVLS' "high line" (for 3 1/2" and 4 3/4" gauges) had at one time an extra rail for 1.75" along part of its length, but no-one wanted to tackile the issue of how to get a continuous run, as the existing switches would have to be rebuilt to let the extra rail pass through.

It's been quite a while since I asked about this, so maybe they're more amenable to scenic scale nowadays. I suppose it can't hurt to ask.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
[/b]
Chester/et-al Western Mass Live Steam's[/b]

Sorry but I found the same dry patchs for Live Steam that others have mentioned.[/b]

Wes (Branch Bridge RR) up near Orange has a nice layout where you can 'burn your fingers'.[/b]
Here is an old link where the last 2 photos are LS locos doing their thing.[/b]
Branch Bridge RR link[/b]
Here is a link that has other Open House G layouts where Ma/NH LS can be found.

New England Large Scale 2012

Ray[/b]

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Ok guys,

I see where we need to get together and start an organization for our selves and not bother PVLS. There's a fella in Ct who wrote me to say he hasn't found any live staemers either. Looks like there is four of us. That's enough for atlest a get together.

Chester

·
Registered
228 Posts
Looks like there is four of us. That's enough for atlest a get together.

Great idea. I know that Harvey in Connecticut has a track, one gentleman I spoke with at PVLS has his own G1 track in the Northampton area. Whether he reads these posts is unknown. I'm not sure about anyone else in the Valley. My track is still on paper (and waiting until I can convince my better half that it won't "ruin the back yard").

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Have track, will travel.
It's a Tom Bowdler style portable and fits in a two car garage for use in bar weather.

Harvey C.
SA1838

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Joel

Harvey is who I was talking about. I know of someone in Northampton who is a member of the Amherst Railway Society that is a G1 steamer. Wonder if they are two of the same.

Joel, I'm the same way only my layout plan is still in my head.

Todd no reason why you shouldn't join us. The more the better.

Chester Louis SA #64

·
Premium Member
369 Posts

Layout ala Bowdler, light portable and a true oval. Also much nicer for tinkering on locos than my raised bed garden layout.
Harvey C.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
To get things rolling, I've an open house on my live steam garden line in connection with the Prototype Modelers Meet here in Collinsville Ct on June 3rd.
The meet is a grand collection of lectures and demonstrations but neither large scale nor live steam. www.neprototypemeet.com

You need not attend the meet, just stop in and run or kibitz.

69 Maple ave/ Collinsville Ct 06019-3034

Harvey C.
SA1838

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Hi Harvey,

Count me there. Can't meet new people without going somewhere. I'll see you sometime on the 3rd.

Chester Louis SA #64

·
Registered
228 Posts
Harvey,

I've got it on the calendar and will plan to bring an engine and some rolling stock...this assumes, of course, that SWMBO doesn't already have plans for the day.

Todd, you're more than welcome to join us, Collinsville's not terribly far over the state line, shouldn't be too long a haul from your part of MA.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts