G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone out there selling, or working on designing a G scale live steamer based on a China prototype? I am a little surprised Aster has not done one considering the popularity of Chinese steam in Japan. Models Imon or Tenshodo stores sell HO brass QJs for $3,000 or $4,000 already.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By csinc on 02/06/2009 12:34 PM Is anyone out there selling, or working on designing a G scale live steamer based on a China prototype? I am a little surprised Aster has not done one considering the popularity of Chinese steam in Japan. Models Imon or Tenshodo stores sell HO brass QJs for $3,000 or $4,000 already.

Dear Mr csinc - I'm hoping that my old pal Zubi will chime in here, but in the Kochijoji live steam group that we both attend there is a live-steam QJ - totally scratch-built, that we also saw running up at the Japan Garden Railway Society track. Even in Gauge 1 it is HUGE, and actually there was not enough clearance under one bridge, as the builder found out the hard way when it took the cab roof off.

A 'G-scale' version', electrically powered and actually 1/24th scale, was offered for sale on e-XXX recently, and figured on these pages - do a search and you'll see it - I bleeve it was made by the company that builds brass models for Bachmann.

As you know, I'm sure, from reading this forum, the genesis of any Aster model is based on a businessman putting up all the money for building it and buying a very large proportion of the finished product, up front.

If you know anybody that is willing to do that, Aster, I'm sure, will oblige.

It looks very fine, even in unpainted metal, would be an awesome model in 1/29th, IS an awesome model in 1/24th, but would surely come into its own in either Gauge 3 [1/22.6] or F[1/20.3]. It is substantially larger than the superb GN Northern being built by a few keen craftsmen, and often updated on this forum.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen the scratch built QJ and the Bachmann one. QJ is not the only Chinese loco type though. A JS or SY would be pretty nice too.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By csinc on 02/06/2009 1:05 PM I have seen the scratch built QJ and the Bachmann one. QJ is not the only Chinese loco type though. A JS or SY would be pretty nice too.

Asking around, I think that you would be more likely to see a Chinese-made model of a Chinese locomotive than one from Aster, but then, the one loco that HAS been produced seems to have been a resounding flop so far, with many unsold - even taking into account the rather adventurous price.

However, you are the first person I have heard on this forum who seems to have taken any interest in Chinese steam in the larger gauges, and I agree, an SY could be just as applicable, there are now five QY's in the US, as well as a couple of of SY's, are there not?

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts