G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Modulator
22,250 Posts
1:32, 1:29, Aster, Accucraft, USAT, and there are others....

"good price" is relative... $20,000 for an Aster would be a good price...

pick the manufacturer, but the most prevalent are the 1:29 USAT ones in my opinion...

at these prices (about 2.7k for the USAT) you should be sure of the model you are getting.

Do you also realize the broad curves and quality of trackage necessary to run or will this be for display?

Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,250 Posts
That is indeed one of the "others" I alluded to.

So, rather than bandying super expensive locos around, how about giving us some criteria to go by: (so we can give some actual help, assuming you are serious)

1. scale (1:32, 1:29, does not matter0
  2. what is your budget?
  3. will you run this loco or will just be on display
  4. if 3 indicates you will run it, what is (will be) your minimum radius curve?
  5. Do you care if replacement parts are available or not?
Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,250 Posts
Since we are specifically speaking about a Large Scale Big Boy, the scale vs gauge vs "G" scale discussion really does not need to happen.

There are very few choices for this locomotive, and setting the priorities as requested will quickly narrow the possibilities, if any.

·
Super Modulator
22,250 Posts
Yes, asked in post #4, and he's in the US so anything under code 200 is very unusual... think we are getting into distracting him with unnecessary things. (Here in the US code 250 is fairly rare)

Still no definition of budget or "good price"....

Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,250 Posts
Yep, typical, a new guy comes in, makes a post, everyone jumps in trying to help, and we don't hear from him again... not unusual... all good intentions, taking his request at face value.

·
Super Modulator
22,250 Posts
Thanks Nick, the possibility of both motor blocks going bad at the same time is about zero, thus my questions.

Also if the replacements are just $100 each, the loco would be worth a lot more fixed.

I would probably want an expert like Ray Manley to go through the loco first, he is probably the top guy in the country and very detail oriented, but getting one of these back "perfect" is no small task, and can run into $$.

Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,250 Posts
I seem to remember a big boy with a broken frame being sold and re-sold on ebay, but perhaps this is common, not a defect in the product, a factor of the sheer weight.

Changing to a new frame is a way bigger job than merely purchasing a motor block, at least that is how it seems to me, not being an expert in pulling them apart.

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts