G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Modulator
22,247 Posts
1:32, 1:29, Aster, Accucraft, USAT, and there are others....

"good price" is relative... $20,000 for an Aster would be a good price...

pick the manufacturer, but the most prevalent are the 1:29 USAT ones in my opinion...

at these prices (about 2.7k for the USAT) you should be sure of the model you are getting.

Do you also realize the broad curves and quality of trackage necessary to run or will this be for display?

Greg

·
Premium Member
Fn3 1:20.3 scale Logging R.R.
41 Posts
There is this one listed up on Live Steam Station

·
Super Modulator
22,247 Posts
That is indeed one of the "others" I alluded to.

So, rather than bandying super expensive locos around, how about giving us some criteria to go by: (so we can give some actual help, assuming you are serious)

1. scale (1:32, 1:29, does not matter0
  2. what is your budget?
  3. will you run this loco or will just be on display
  4. if 3 indicates you will run it, what is (will be) your minimum radius curve?
  5. Do you care if replacement parts are available or not?
Greg

·
Registered
188 Posts
1:32, 1:29, Aster, Accucraft, USAT, and there are others....

"good price" is relative... $20,000 for an Aster would be a good price...

pick the manufacturer, but the most prevalent are the 1:29 USAT ones in my opinion...

at these prices (about 2.7k for the USAT) you should be sure of the model you are getting.

Do you also realize the broad curves and quality of trackage necessary to run or will this be for display?

Greg
I think 1/32, 1/29, 10mm to the foot, are normally refered to as gauge 1. Whereas the OP is specifically asking about G scale - ie 1/19, 1/20.3, 1/22.5, 1/24 - so the short answer to his question is - there ain't no such thing - at least not to my limited knowledge .... :)

·
Premium Member
6,827 Posts
I think 1/32, 1/29, 10mm to the foot, are normally refered to as gauge 1. Whereas the OP is specifically asking about G scale - ie 1/19, 1/20.3, 1/22.5, 1/24 - so the short answer to his question is - there ain't no such thing - at least not to my limited knowledge
John,
We try to avoid specifying that "G scale" is anything, as most modern outline standard gauge guys who run 1/29th think that they are also using "G scale". It's just too open-ended a concept.

I suspect the Original Poster ("OP") was looking for something that runs on his "G gauge" track, i.e. 45mm gauge and possibly code 332. I doubt he was focused on the scale - and the fact that he asked for "G scale" merely demonstrates he probably wasn't.

I agree with Greg that the simplest and least expensive option is perhaps the USA Trains model in 1/29th.

·
Super Modulator
22,247 Posts
Since we are specifically speaking about a Large Scale Big Boy, the scale vs gauge vs "G" scale discussion really does not need to happen.

There are very few choices for this locomotive, and setting the priorities as requested will quickly narrow the possibilities, if any.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just hope the OP realizes that - even though the trains we're talking about all run on a common gauge of 45 mm - not all gauge 1 stock will run on G scale track because the curves can be too tight for the larger locos - and not all G scale stock will run on gauge 1 track because the flanges can hit the chairs on code 180 or even 200 rail and the larger G scale loading gauge can cause track clearance problems.

·
Super Modulator
22,247 Posts
Yes, asked in post #4, and he's in the US so anything under code 200 is very unusual... think we are getting into distracting him with unnecessary things. (Here in the US code 250 is fairly rare)

Still no definition of budget or "good price"....

Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,247 Posts
Yep, typical, a new guy comes in, makes a post, everyone jumps in trying to help, and we don't hear from him again... not unusual... all good intentions, taking his request at face value.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have for sale a used MTH 1/32" Scale, Gauge 1, UP Big Boy #4004. It is in need of work, namely the two drive blocks need replacement. They are currently available from MTH for $100.00 each. The MTH Part number for the front engine is DF1230001 and the rear engine DF1240001. The MTH UP Big Boy has the original model box and shipping box as well. I bought this engine as a long term project and now find myself with way too many projects. I model trains in G Scale indoors and R Scale 1/8th Scale, 7.5" Gauge outdoor trains. I am building a Union Pacific four unit Super Turbine that is over 31' long and weighs in over 3000 pounds. This project is taking up all of my train time. So, the #1 Scale MTH UP Big Boy has to go. I want $950.00 for the Big Boy including Fed Ex insured ground shipping to the 48 states. If you have any interest let me know. I have a lot of pics of this engine. Terry Paige, [email protected]
Train Light Rolling stock Railway Gas

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
This APPEARS to be the same person and the same loco posted on another forum. There were pics showing the broken pieces, and also mentioned other things that needed to be repaired/replaced. Was posted at higher price, later posted it had been sold. Has recently been taken down.

·
Super Modulator
22,247 Posts
Thanks Nick, the possibility of both motor blocks going bad at the same time is about zero, thus my questions.

Also if the replacements are just $100 each, the loco would be worth a lot more fixed.

I would probably want an expert like Ray Manley to go through the loco first, he is probably the top guy in the country and very detail oriented, but getting one of these back "perfect" is no small task, and can run into $$.

Greg

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Hi, I have for sale a used MTH 1/32" Scale, Gauge 1, UP Big Boy #4004. It is in need of work, namely the two drive blocks need replacement. They are currently available from MTH for $100.00 each. The MTH Part number for the front engine is DF1230001 and the rear engine DF1240001. The MTH UP Big Boy has the original model box and shipping box as well. I bought this engine as a long term project and now find myself with way too many projects. I model trains in G Scale indoors and R Scale 1/8th Scale, 7.5" Gauge outdoor trains. I am building a Union Pacific four unit Super Turbine that is over 31' long and weighs in over 3000 pounds. This project is taking up all of my train time. So, the #1 Scale MTH UP Big Boy has to go. I want $950.00 for the Big Boy including Fed Ex insured ground shipping to the 48 states. If you have any interest let me know. I have a lot of pics of this engine. Terry Paige, [email protected]
View attachment 63571
Sorry but your part numbers are for a MTH RailKing O Gauge Big Boy not a one gauge version.
The One Gauge front frame is MTH number DF1530002 and it's out of stock along with the rear frame.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
If I may add, that is only the frame. Then all the moving parts must be transferred from the broken one, now I remember one of the frames is physically broken. Adding up the broken frame, rods and looks like the boss on the driver is also broken off, leads me to assume the unit has been dropped/fell. Just don't want someone else to buy a 'pig in a poke' .imgres. sorry, I just couldn't pass this one up.

·
Super Modulator
22,247 Posts
I seem to remember a big boy with a broken frame being sold and re-sold on ebay, but perhaps this is common, not a defect in the product, a factor of the sheer weight.

Changing to a new frame is a way bigger job than merely purchasing a motor block, at least that is how it seems to me, not being an expert in pulling them apart.

Greg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts