G Scale Model Train Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Beautiful work Ross, I hope I can get close to that when the build begins. What are you doing about the tender or are you accepting it as supplied?
all the best
Tim

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Beautiful work Ross, I hope I can get close to that when the build begins. What are you going to do about the tender or will you use it as supplied?
all the best
Tim

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Hi Tim,

I pretty much have accepted the tender as received -- with some detailed added. Using the same brads as the ones I used as rivets on the shroud, I added rivet detail to the frame. Next I added the external water line that allows supplemental water from a spare tender -- or in my case, the Water Car tank car 0471 which I have kitbashed from a Bachmann UTLX a tanker. I added 4 corner steps. made the coal bunker cover hinges more accurate, and lastly I have been weathering the car lightly as practice for the Rotary proper.

Haven't finished detailing the Rotary box structure but I getting close. I'll need to post some more pictures soon.

BTW, don't get overwhelmed by the shroud. If I can do it, I think most of our fraternity can with perseverance. The trick is to make a properly shaped wooden plug (of several layers screwed together), mark off the separate steel sheets on the plug, and use these marks to make up paper and then cardboard patterns for the individual pieces before cutting brass -- and leave some excess along seam lines. I split a couple of the larger pieces in half to simplify the bending and shaping. I tip my hat to the guys that shaped the full-size steel in the 1880's. Don't know how they did it.

Ross Schlabach

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Hi Jim,

The rivets are brass brads sold by Craft, Inc. The right size is #15 which is the smallest they offer. Craft sells them by the 1/4 pound. You can even cut off the excess inside and peen over the ends like a real rivet. I did that on the outside braces on the lower portion of the rotary shroud.

Ross Schlabach

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the rivets Ross! Your shroud is really top notch, one of those WOW projects you see here from time-to-time.

-Jim

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
In response to the latest questions, here are three pictures: the kitbashed Water Car; the kit-built and detailed Rotary tender; and the latest shot of the shroud -- now with braces! One at a time since the program won't allow me to upload multiple pictures -- Lord knows I tried!

Ross Schlabach

Attachments

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Wow Ross, that water car is awesome.

I'm working on one too. Although I'm using a 1:24 scale Precision Scale tank. They look good with my mostly 1:22.5 scale layout.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Hi Matt,

I had seen a picture of your water car and decided to do one too -- it motivated me to get the Rotary kit. Yours in brass looks awesome without paint! BTW, don't forget the T handle water valve on the opposite end from the brake wheel!

Ross Schlabach

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Spent the day in the "Paint Shop" and after baking the Scalecoat on all the metal parts, here's where I knocked off for the day. Still have a good bit left to do: truss rods, decals, weathering, windows.

The headlight will be functional and will have wire mesh over the lens like the real thing. Of course, the roof is still missing some detail parts too.

Ross Schlabach

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
That looks fantastic, Ross! Very nicely done. I hope my model turns out that well.

A week ago I saw one of the last steam powered rotary plows in action. It was in the meter gauge Rhaetian Railway in Switzerland. They bring the old rotary out twice a year for railroad buffs. We braved freezing temperatures to stand in knee deep snow to get some pictures.

All my pictures of the event are on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153056838419044.1073741849.506409043&type=1&l=9da4bf17e9
They should be visible to everyone.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts