G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I replaced the Futaba 75mhz F.M. R.C. system, I tried using on my 2 live steamers, with a Spektrum DX5-e system, I was wondering if there was a receiver or ??? that I could use with the Futaba transmitter to run the electric locos that are now just laying around. The temporary trackage I've got set up outside will not lend itself anymore to rail conductivity, after being outside for almost 2 years, so it's battery/R.C. or nothing. I know, I know; why would I want to run a sparky, after having a couple of live steamers? The Futaba sys. is practically useless, but I just can't see throwing it in the garbage & maybe I can set something up for my smaller grandkids? Jim Spanier

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
RCS EVO hardware is specifically designed for train control use with 2 stick radios. Very effective and economical as many of the speed control models are under 100.00. You use your existing transmitter and the Futaba receiver plugs into the speed control from RCS

Jonathan/EMw

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Jim.

I found 2 EVO-4A (4 amp throttle) and 2 EVO-SW2v2 (switch/relay control.) I sent you a couple of emails - they may be in your 'spam' folder!

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Posted By Kovacjr on 01/09/2009 12:02 PM
What about just using speed controllers

10AMP http://www.dimensionengineering.com/SyRen10.htm

2/10AMP http://www.dimensionengineering.com/Sabertooth2X10RC.htm

Or any RC speed controller

They will work, but you have two problems: 1) You will have to leave the transmitter on continuously ( so Tx batteries don't last long), and 2) you may not have the slow speed control you would like for trains.

Controllers designed for trains, such as the RCS-EVO and G-Scale Graphics Railboss R/C allow you to run with the Tx off and maintain constant train speed, plus allow for precise slow speed control.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Posted By Kovacjr on 01/09/2009 12:02 PM
What about just using speed controllers

10AMP http://www.dimensionengineering.com/SyRen10.htm

2/10AMP http://www.dimensionengineering.com/Sabertooth2X10RC.htm

Or any RC speed controller

Other points about my EVO brand ESC's for stick type radios you may wish to consider.

1. Digital Proportional ESC's such as those listed above cannot usually be controlled by low cost AM because of RFI which causes the dreaded "glitching". All EVO brand ESC's can use low cost AM stick type R/C.

2. Neither of the ESC's listed above have directional constant lighting outputs. EVO brand ESC's do.

3. Neither do they have built in trigger functions for controlling sound systems. EVO brand ESC's do.

As Del said above, with ESC's designed for LS trains you can turn the Tx off if you wish.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
One of the best RC controllers for battery power is the Brian Jones product "Mac-five" It is very reliable allows excellent control and operates lighting. I have used these on my own and customer engines with out failure. Brian is also very helpful with telephone assistance if required. These are not the cheapest controllers but in my experience one of the best. Brian's web site:

http://www.brianjones.free-online.co.uk/page2.html

I do not work for and am not affiliated to Brian Jones, just a very satisfied customer.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Think about why you went Spektrum in the first place, and then ask yourself if the same conditions are acceptable in a sparky.

When I converted to DX6, I used my old 75 Mhz FM with an ESC to power a converted LGB Feldlok for my young daughter. I soon found that the glitching was just as bad in the electric application. I ended up swapping the 75 MHz receiver for another Spektrum receiver and binding it to my main transmitter. Now we share, and we only have to bring 1 TX when we travel.

I know there are plenty of nice products out there for RC control of sparkies, but if your original intent was to make use of the discarded 75 MHz system, how much $$ do you want to spend?

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
James.

What brand and type of ESC did you marry to the 75 Mhz R/C equipment.

I can guarantee that there is ZERO, as in zip, nada NO, glitching with my EVOLUTION R/C when used with ANY low cost AM radios.

They start at US $40 for a 2 amp ESC.

The EVO ESC is self binding to any same frequency R/C.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Tony,

No disrespect meant to your product. It wasn't one of yours. I'd have to go pull the loco off the shelf to find out what it is. It's not one of the ones made for loco use; I think it was designed for RC cars. I didn't want to spend a lot of $ on a conversion for my 5 year old.

My point remains that if you were dissatisfied with 75 MHz, why spend more money on it?

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Posted By mack505 on 01/11/2009 4:01 PM
Tony,

No disrespect meant to your product. It wasn't one of yours. I'd have to go pull the loco off the shelf to find out what it is. It's not one of the ones made for loco use; I think it was designed for RC cars. I didn't want to spend a lot of $ on a conversion for my 5 year old.

My point remains that if you were dissatisfied with 75 MHz, why spend more money on it?

Hi James.

The point is, that 75 Mhz AM R/C "glitches" when used with Digital Proportional (DP) servos and ESC's.
If it was an ex car R/C type ESC it surely would glitch.

The EVO system is not DP and as such it can be used with any AM system and will not glitch.
That makes 75 Mhz radios that have been abandoned from use with LIve Steam locos, ideal for use with low cost ESC's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts