G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaking about goofy short trains,

I have a lego nxt mindstorm kit, and was thinking of taking the idea of the balancing robot and fit it inside a train, so a 1 axle train - might have problems not staying on the track(truck turning 90 deg left or right), I guess it is up to the flanges,

Of course the wheels would be closer together under the main computer body. probally would be incredibly tall too. segtrain lol

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
That is fantastic! My son has the nxt and gyro sensor...better show him this one he will really be inspired! For trains, you could use something like a Basic micro Atom or other programmable microcontroller if you think the brick is too tall/heavy--the idea has great potential! On the other hand, the taller it is the easier it might be to keep balanced because the center of gravity will be less sensitive to small adjustments.
Thanks for posting it!

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Andrew,

A single pilot wheel out front would give a tripod effect and help to keep it on the rails.

A really neat project. I want to see how it comes out.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had a funny addon to the idea where there is a man (with the powered truck under him) balancing, and he is pushing a reel lawn mower(seicond truck). when u apply track power or something remote control, it tells the computer to lean it forward and off u go down the track.

Too bad I cant pursue this idea yet though, just got in a 1/2 finished DJB coal fired ruby kit (christmas present to myself), so i will be working on that project first. Just thought I would throw my idea out there to those who have micro controller knowledge, to make something that looks like its defying the laws of physics on the rails. Maybe an eggliner on a stick.

G

·
thinking about it, it might be possible, to couple a 0-2-0 to a one axle tender by link and pin, so that it does run without derailing.
the point would be, to have tight fitting couplers and links.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts