G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only have 3 sets of disconnects so it's a short train. The still clearly shows a radiant burner in action. If you look closely you can see they have different gear ratios. I swapped the trucks and shafts on the open cab with a set from a 3 cylinder Shay, just to make things interesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nice video Nick and good to see your shays doing an appropriate 'shay speed' and not racing along. How long a run do you get from one boiler fill and do they have hand pumps to keep the water up? I didn't know that the three cylinder Accucraft shay had a different gear ratio, is it 'speedier' or slower' for a given wheel turn?
I have an Aster shay and that takes some sensitive throttle adjustments to get it to run as slow as yours do unless it has a good load on, so with only three disconnects and two engines some good driving there.
Russell

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Russell, thank you. actually that was even faster than I like to run them, but kept having to adjust the speed to keep them together as the trailing Shay wasn't coupled so it was really pushing. No hand pumps on these. The 3 cylinder took more engine revolutions to go the same distance as the the two cylinder units, and since it had a bigger boiler the run times were decent. There was some discussion at the time that it was more prototypical to the actual speed. Putting that gear ratio in the two cylinder one brought the run time down to about 15 min. so the lead shay was still going strong when the pusher ran out of steam. The 3 cylinder unit holds about 100 mis more water and the gas tank Is in the fuel bunker and has a water pump. The load is even lighter than would be expected as the logs are made of foam, so really weigh nothing. I thought the pusher would cause the disconnects to derail but gentle throttle adjustments kept that from happening. I had fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts