G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday, Joel, Eric, David, Henner, and I went over to Mark's for the annual ritual of setting up his Holiday layout. :) The permanent section of the layout is coming along very nicely, with the ground cover really starting to fill in now.

The deck bridge Mark and Joel built last year has weathered to a nice gray...

Compare the above with a shot from last year while it was still under construction...

At any rate, things were running by Sunday morning when I made it back over. I pretty much had the track all to myself, and ended up running my NCNG 4-4-0 for around 4 straight hours. She ran like a watch the entire time.

There was one instance where she suddenly tipped over on her side - I never did quite figure out why. Perhaps a chunk of ballast worked it's way into a flangeway or something. I'd already made several laps around the track before this happened. At any rate, it never happened again, and luckily no damage was done to loco or layout.

These 4-4-0's are good little pullers. I had a couple of Mark's boxcars behind her and his Accucraft brass long caboose. He's removed the wipers from the caboose wheels, but they are otherwise stock (high drag). They were pulled with no trouble.

The bridge on the temporary section was replaced this year due to clearance problems with the old one and the larger K's.

It was sunny and long-sleeve weather, but cool enough for good plumes. :)

I'm really happy with the 4-4-0! So far, I've replaced nothing. I have a new stack and new rods/crossheads, but haven't installed them yet. Hopefully this weekend, I'll run the other SPC #3 I bought. Wonderful bang for the buck imho. :)

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Dwight,

Looks like it was a nice day in the Bay area Sunday. What a great little railroad and it has "grown up" very nicely!

I'm interested in replacing my AMS D&RGW shorty caboose with the Accucraft brass long caboose. Is Mark's a round roof or peaked? Which number? How heavy? I'm going to be pulling with my Accucraft C19 #346 (sparkie).

Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Dwight,

I sent that info on to my brother. Looks like you had fun running the 4-4-0. That loco is a beauty!

Mark

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm interested in replacing my AMS D&RGW shorty caboose with the Accucraft brass long caboose. Is Mark's a round roof or peaked? Which number? How heavy? I'm going to be pulling with my Accucraft C19 #346 (sparkie).
I'm pretty sure that Mark's is a round-roofed version (which I don't think they're making anymore). Looking at the original (larger) photos and blowing up the number, it's still hard to make out, but it looks like 0584. Perhaps Mark will verify...

The trucks on the brass cabooses have mucho drag and the caboose itself is quite heavy - it's sorta like pulling a brick. This can be helped somewhat by removing the wheel wipers - there to supply track power to the lights. Things can be improved immensely by replacing the wheels with dual ball-bearing wheelsets. That's what I did on mine (with Gary Raymond wheels), and it's now very free rolling. I sacrificed the lights since I don't have track power anyway. One of these days, I'll put in a battery for the lights (if I don't off it first with the rest of my Colorado rolling stock). :)

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I agree with Dwight. I had Phil's Narrow Gauge ball bearings and Gary Raymond wheels installed in my long brass caboose trucks and it made a siginificant difference.
http://www.philsnarrowgauge.com/services1.htm

The price is reasonable. Just mail your trucks to Gary and he has a fast turnaround. I also removed the wipers and installed a battery inside with a toggle switch underneath.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Thanks Dwight for the info on the Accu long caboose. I've had ALL of my trucks on my AMS cars replaced with ball-bearings by Phil at PNG. Yes, very happy with them. I just thought maybe the trucks on this particular car had been improved. THX

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Looks like you guys had a great time. And what a neat layout. Sitting in the lawn chair, sipping hot chocolate on a chilly day, chit-chatting, watching the engines run -- what a holiday.

Best wishes, Bob

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Dwight,

It was great to see your train running both Sunday and today. I was really surprised you didn't get a bunch of kids stopping to watch on Sunday...must still be early in the season. BTW - my caboose is a peaked roof...0584. I think the round roof ones are out of production. If I get real motivated tonight perhaps I'll open it up and install a battery for the lights.

Mark

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a 1:46 video[/b][/b] made yesterday as well (6.8mb).

Not as good of quality as the last ones I posted. I tried saving them to a built-in SD card instead of the DVD - saves conversion hassles - but the camera employs much more compression when using this method. Unless there's a setting where I can reduce the compression used, I guess it's back to saving to DVD.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Love the color of that model! I might just have to get me one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts