G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have spent 3 nites in a row trying to post something in the Model forum, been doing the same thing for 2 years now, i am sorry to complain  because i dont like to, but its frustrating, i dont have all the time in the world to do this, i love this site and am addicted to it, but i cant figure out why it wont work, it just freezes up on me when i hit the submit button, i prevue it no problem, and i have cable so speed is no problem. I have spent 20-30 minutes posting 4-5 pics, then writing everything, then it doesnt work. Oh well dont even know if this will post, just my luck it will, anyways i have to take a break or i will throw this computer out the door.

tom h

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
What's your operating system and web browser and their versions?  Are you getting any specific error messages?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Tom,
I had stuff bowing up on me for odd reasons, too...
I finally would begin a post, just couple of pragraphs, and then submit.
After that, I'd go back and edit the post, adding what I need...
Or you might try building the post in word (or other tesxt writer), and then copy/paste...
I know it's a "work-around", but it helped me get used to some of the new "protocols"...

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Duncan on 03/11/2008 9:43 PM
Tom,
I had stuff bowing up on me for odd reasons, too...
I finally would begin a post, just couple of pragraphs, and then submit.
After that, I'd go back and edit the post, adding what I need...
Or you might try building the post in word (or other tesxt writer), and then copy/paste...
I know it's a "work-around", but it helped me get used to some of the new "protocols"...

If I have spent too long a time composing a message I will lose it when I click "Submit".

I now highlight the whole message and then type Ctrl-C to copy it to the clipboard before I try to send it.  Then, if it fails, I just open the reply window again and then type Ctrl-V to copy the clipboard into the text area and click "Submit" again... then it will work.

The length of time to compose a message is kind of short for me to think of what I want to say whilst I am typing it.  I haven't tried to measure the time, but I bet it is less than 5 minutes.

One way to see if it has timed out is to click Preview first.  If the preview window fails to show what I typed I know I have to re-open the reply window.

·
Vendor
3,317 Posts
Tom, like Duncan and Charles, when I'm going to submit a long, detailed post with images, I compose it in Word, check for spelling and other errors, copy it, open MLS, click on the "Add Topic" button, paste it all, hit preview and if everything looks OK, click on "SUBMIT".  It's worked every time for me....

I did that with this post as it took me 30-40 minutes to think it out, gather the image links, proof it and post it.

www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/8/postid/15650/view/topic/Default.aspx

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Yup..... just lost 45 min of looking things up, checking links and checking over all my spelling errors... only to have it hang in mid preview....

Should not have to deal with the backup BS mentioned above just to post a simple picture or link.....

The MLS claim to fame is pictures.... And I'm betting the reason posting is down is due to the crap non  HTML  users are having to deal with.

I write HTML code with 'Notepad' nothing else. And this new place is driving me more than a bit crazy...

Put a 'Picture' and 'Hyperlink' button up there that is simple to use. I hit the image button and this crap shows up in the preview window

[script removed] // Sets the Skin CSS document.write( ' ' ) ; if ( window.parent.FCKConfig.BaseHref.length > 0 ) document.write( ' ' ) ; window.onload = function() { window.parent.SetPreviewElements( document.getElementById( 'imgPreview' ), document.getElementById( 'lnkPreview' ) ) ; } [script removed] [script removed]
I bet that doesn't scare off any of our non-computer savy crowd.......

Firefox 5.0

Dawgout

LOL!!! Typical when I try to preview

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Oh that's just peachy keen........ It completly changed what I copied and pasted from the preview window. What I had was Spanish (I think).

Better fix it before you lose a lot of long time contributing MLS'ers.....

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
gobbledy gobbledy gobbledy

I am confused by your difficulty

To put that photo up there I entered the gobbledy text as place holders and then clicked in the middle of it and then clicked on the icon at the top of the text window that looks like a mountain.  That brought up a dialog box where I could enter the URL of the photo.  Since I didn't know the URL I opened another tab in IE-7 and entered the MLS first class space I have and right clicked on a photo I have there and selected "Copy Shortcut" and then went back to the tab that had the dialog box open and typed Ctrl-V to paste the link in.  

I can see the photo in the edit window and it showed up in the preview window and I assume it will show up in the posting when I click "Submit".

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
That "Spanish" you saw was the "Lorem Ipsum" text. It is just a place holder. IT was explained in another post someplace, I don't remember what it is, but I don't care either. All I do is put the URL in the text box and close the dialog.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Sorry about the gobbledy stuff... it was not meant as demeaning... I was just typeing text so I could experiment and I left it before I realized it might look bad. I should have edited it out and made it more meaningful. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I had my post 'time out' for the first time today.  No idea what happened but I highlighted the whole thing, right clicked 'copy' and opened a Reply again.  Pasted the old picture/text and it worked.

Mostly I do the whole thing in Word if I know it's going to be a long one.

You know what I'd like to see again?  The rest of the subject posts below - or above - mine.  That way I can respond to a number of folks directly rather than posting multiple comments.

Dave

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I'm trying to bite my lip............

So far, it's working... sorta

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Twice today I've had posts I made using the Quick Reply get lost. Is there a time out related to the Quick Reply editor option?

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
And....if I just use the old photo posting technique in Quick Chat...the ole [ img] etc thing...it posts photos just fine. 

While the full page editor option also works for me, I find that having to learn to read all that source code to make it work....not worthwhile.

I just remember two commands from the OLD MLS site....[ img] and [ url]....using one of those two, I can post links and images in chat easily.

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Just wonderful.

I typed in a reply via the quick reply.    Pressed submit.   

Working...working...working.   Done!

Argh.   Reply is GONE!

Let's see if this one makes it.

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Luckily I saved the "quick" reply:

It took me over 10 times to get a picture to post today.   I was in the Add reply, added a picture.  It looked like what I wanted.  Clicked submit.   I'm on the same screen, but the picture disappeared.  Again, and again.   Tried coming back in from the forum, and same result.   Finally, I just pasted the link in, and THEN the submit worked.   I went back and edited it, and changed it back to a picture.

What a pain.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Hmmmmmmm............

How long have you (Bruce and Mike) been posting great pictures and projects here on MLS?

/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

No need to answer, I have the magic ring to look up long time members.... ;)

This Dawg needs to sign off before he gets in real trouble.........

Dawg Gone...... again

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Mike Reilley on 03/12/2008 7:27 PM
And....if I just use the old photo posting technique in Quick Chat...the ole [ img] etc thing...it posts photos just fine. 

While the full page editor option also works for me, I find that having to learn to read all that source code to make it work....not worthwhile.

I just remember two commands from the OLD MLS site....[ img] and [ url]....using one of those two, I can post links and images in chat easily.

first --, dawinter:  
There is a checkbox below the text entry area that if you check it will show the postings.  You can also set it to always be checked in your "profile".  If you can't find it, say so and I'll go looking again, I can't remember which "Profile" setting it is in.

Now-- Mike:

What is this "read all that source code" business?  I see no "source code" whilst I am making this entry.  And to add a photo I don't see any either, except the usual URL sillyness that you have always had to see/know in order to post a photo and that goes into a dialog box when you click the photo icon (sun over a mountain icon).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts