G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The last item in the back of my storage cupboard is a Model Shipways kit of the "Rattlesnake". I bought it 30-40 years ago and it was touted as a 'starter' kit.

Over in Nick's Saito thread is a link that Joe found to the Manual:
http://www.historicships.com/TALLSHIPS/Model%20Shipways/Rattlesnake/Rattlesnake%20Manual.pdf
HOWEVER that isn't my kit (though its the same ship.) They must have upgraded it with a fully planked hull. Mine comes with a wooden hull that is pre-shaped, and only needs a little carving to finish it off.

Aha! I read the Manual preface which says:
"The Model Shipways kit of Rattlesnake was initially offered a solid hull model. This kit has now been converted to a Plank-On-Bulkhead type hull."

I didn't recall a Manual, so its a good job Joe found it - there isn't one in the box, other than a general plan of the hull and its details, plus a rigging plan. The latter is spectacular and was mounted on the wall of my Family Room for many years so I could enjoy it. The preface says:
"The Model Shipways Hull and Rigging plans for Rattlesnake were prepared in 1963 by Mr. George F. Campbell, who passed away several years ago. Mr. Campbell was a noted British marine artist, author, naval architect, and historian. He was a member of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects."

A pic of the complete rigging plan is attached. Here's a detail of the rigging plan:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Hey Pete, are you close to moving yet? How did your FMB place and boat make out in the storm?

Larry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts