G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it comes, fellow LS-ers!   For those of us who are tax-paying US citizens, you WILL receive a check in the mail from the federal government that could amount to $600.00 per individual up to $1200.00 per couple with at least $300.00 for those who filed and entered an income amount of at least $3000.00.  As I read this, it is your patriotic duty to spend this money in order to help stimulate the economy.  After all, THAT is the whole purpose of this excercise from our government to us.  Talk about money being dropped from helicopters, as one US rep put it ! So tell us how you intend to spend it IF you're going to be making a purchase within our own large-scale hobby.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm. Well, I can see that setting up this poll is not all that straight-forward. In any case, YOU know what you want to say, so let us in on YOUR plans for spending this $300 to $600 !

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Ron,

Run out and have some kids,  each kid gets you another $300!!

Will I spend the $$$ on trains?  Doubtful.  It'd be better for me, from a home PR stance, to allow MB to spend the $1500 on whatever, but most likely it'll go to paying down debt.  

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By blackburn49 on 01/24/2008 1:01 PM
Hmmm. Well, I can see that setting up this poll is not all that straight-forward. In any case, YOU know what you want to say, so let us in on YOUR plans for spending this $300 to $600 !

Ron

Have you tried to go back in and edit your poll and add more than one choice, and the other critical part is if you're going to allow only one choice or multiple choices to be made.

With regard to how the rebate should be spent. To me personally the idea just doesn't make sense. Businesses do not make changes based on single blips to the good on their bottom line. Especially when they know of the pending cause and the fact that it's a onetime occurrence.

Then with the current level of debt that the average U.S. citizen is carrying, like Mark stated above, to me paying down debt would be the wise choice.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posted By SteveC on 01/24/2008 2:26 PM

Ron

Have you tried to go back in and edit your poll and add more than one choice, and the other critical part is if you're going to allow only one choice or multiple choices to be made.
The part I need to change will NOT edit. I posed the request for a tutorial on using this poll function over in the web-site question section.

--Ron in CC

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Sounds suspiciously like buying votes.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posted By Torby on 01/24/2008 3:07 PM
Sounds suspiciously like buying votes.
I suspect MANY of us can agree that this is a cynical ploy to either a) gain votes or b) at least not lose votes to the other side of the aisle by appearing to be (heaven forbid) unwilling to help stave off a possible coming recession, AND, it is highly questionable as to the real effectiveness of this legislation for its stated intent, BUT that aside and keeping this NON-POLITICAL, my question stands:

a) spend, save or pay existing or upcoming / anticipated debts?
b) train-related or other?
    and, MOST-IMPORTANT for purposes of THIS poll,
c) IF train-related, WHAT?  (Please fill in the blank). 

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Posted By Kevin Miller on 01/24/2008 5:07 PM
d) Medical bills.
I am sorry, but your answer "d)" does not compute. This one falls under a) "pay existing debts."

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
a and b combined? I owe a supplier for money my ex "borrowed" out of my escrow account before the divorce was final. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

My idea for an economic stimulus made more sense (to me, at least) Just suspend the federal excise tax on motor fuels for 90 days...that would be about 18c/gal on gas and 24c/gal on diesel... That would be a RIGHT NOW boost, not months down the road when the IRS gets around to mailing checks...and would help those hardest hit by the high cost of fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Likely it will go to paying down debt OR possibly to home improvements which ulitmately will lead to the railroad being set up faster.

Chas

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I'm with Chas... I plan on installing a fence this spring so that money will come in handy to help pay for that. Once that is in then the railroad goes in!!! :)

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
Invest it, because randomly throwing money at a problem isn't going to make it go away. I have--on the other hand--tried to occasionally be somewhat problematic in hopes that someone would randomly throw money at me. ;) I'm fairly confident I can weather this particular storm, and that "gift" will help me weather the next one (which will occur when the government realizes it actually has to pay back the account it borrowed from to give us this windfall).

Who, me? Cynical?

Later,

K

·
Master of Disaster
867 Posts
So let me get this straight...the government pays back the account that it barrows from?:confused:

Maybe a percentage of what was barrowed..I can see but them paying EVERYTHING back...I don't think so!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif

I.....will spend it on painting my house, as I am middle class.....I pay for the rich and I pay for the poor...so bottom line is I am GOING to pay dearly for it anyway.....later down the line!

What sticks in my craw is the fact that people that do not pay income tax will get in on the middle classe's "token" rebate!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif

The idea of..."they spend money also"...doesn't cut it as they get a fraction of  MY money EVERY mother's day once every month!!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Bubba  

·
Registered
16 Posts
According to the news report we are due $1,200.00. The check will be mailed to us in June. My boat dock rent is due in July $1,100.00. With the $ 100.00 left over I just might buy me a new railroad car.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
It's real hard to say right now what it will be used for. I'll have to figure that out when I actually have the check in hand.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
It sounds like:

Do your patriotic duty and go blow it all on trains.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts