G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But don't go calling Cliff to ask for yours...They are already on your loco, you just need to "uncover" them. Yep, turns out the black plastic knobs used by Accucraft for gas and throttle are actually brass knobs with plastic molded over the brass. I chucked one up in my lathe, turned the plastic off, and then went to work shaping the brass. Here are the results:

Of course the "new" knob is not insulated, so be careful. My plan is to replace all my gas knobs and only the throttles that are RC - at least until I know how hot these things get.

Have fun!

Mark

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Mark,
This is why I like this site so much. Little tidbits of useful information frequently surface. I like your discovery and will modify the four plastic coated knobs I have in my junk box. Thanks for the tip. By the way, I don't have a lathe, so I'll turn mine in my drill press as I have other projects. It has tight bearings with little or no wobble, so turning usually goes well for simple projects like this.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I install a brass pin in my Throttle & Gas knobs, same location on all of my locos. This way I know where they are set just by the "FEEL" of the pin location, setting still or moving.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Those are two really neat ideas! Mine are older models that came with levers and are now RC'd but if I come by some knobs I might have to use them on the gas valves.

·
Registered
82 Posts
On my ruby I added a 3/4" brass L hook to the throttle. That way it allows me to have a better feel but it also allows me MUCH finer control since my point of control is further out from the axis of rotation. But it has done some great wonders to my Ruby, I can now control the speed (it no longer suffers from the infamous on-off ruby syndrome!).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I cut the plastic off my Ruby's throttle knob and soldered an arm to it for the throttle selinoid link up. no picts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.