G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am guessing this site is now on the new hardware, It certainly feels a lot faster!

GJ Shad

Andrew

I code website stuff on the other side of the woods, apache/php/mysql.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Yeah, but until the Googleadshit gets fixed, it takes for friggin' ever to get the site to load...
Like in the two minute range..
Until I give up.
And this is on a T5 line...

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a little research and heres a website that is entirely on the topic.

Shad already has google adsense loading in an [iframe] which allows this page to show up immediately. It will let you read and post regaurdless of how long google adwords takes to load.
An iframe is a virtual secondary browser window built into the webpage. You can do this with a lot of other things

If you right click the adword line below you will see the "this frame" option (in firefox anyway).

http://www.bobshowto.com/Adsense-Slow-fix.htm

Andrew...

·
Registered
22 Posts
love MLS but, it still seems slow to me. Tried several times last night to log-in from about 10pm to 11pm wouldn't go so I gave up and went to bed.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Sorry Andrew, but if I can't even see the page, then I can't read nor reply...
Shad's got some work to do...

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Tried several times last night to log-in from about 10pm to 11pm wouldn't go so I gave up and went to bed.
That's 'cause Shad was moving everything over to a new server last night. He announced the planned downtime in the Public Forum yesterday afternoon, though the outage seems to have happened a little earlier than he'd planned (probably because he wanted to try and get to bed a little earlier than 3 AM - hehehe).

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Posted By Dwight Ennis on 03/12/2008 9:30 AM
Tried several times last night to log-in from about 10pm to 11pm wouldn't go so I gave up and went to bed.
That's 'cause Shad was moving everything over to a new server last night. He announced the planned downtime in the Public Forum yesterday afternoon, though the outage seems to have happened a little earlier than he'd planned (probably because he wanted to try and get to bed a little earlier than 3 AM - hehehe).

Yeah, I started about 20 minutes early.. I finished what I was doing for work a little early and was sick of waiting around.

Duncan, I'm not sure why you're having so may problems with the google ads..  They are at the bottom of the page, and should be the last thing that loads.  There are some broken images in the template that I'm aware of and will be working on fixing, but they shouldn't be that big of a deal.  I'll do some more looking..

This next 3 weeks, well and also the last 3, are very busy for me..  Work has been very demanding of my time, so I'm stretched very thin.  I'll work on it when I can.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Shad, this time your site was not down for long. When it first came back on line it was still unacceptably slow,  The last few days it has been a bit of a problem for me, especially when replying to a topic.  But I see that the loading time has improved markedly by later this morning. Thanks again for all the work you have put into this wonderful forum.

My regards, Ron

·
Registered
22 Posts
No nocks here Shad, if I had read the Public Forum I would have known. Just never got that far the prevoius time I was logged into the site.

Thanks for all the hard work with the forum...!!:)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Shad,
It seems (well for me anyway) that the google ads are one of the first things to load.
If it hangs, and I "alt-tab" to another window (whether I've hit refresh or not), and then "alt-tab" (or select from the bottom tool bar) the IE border screen will come up, showing it's trying to load MLS, but the center image of the screen shows the last working screen (word/excel/whatever) I was on...
No MLS content is actually visble until things resolve themselves (either through repetitive F5, or simply waiting)...

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*looks the other way*    psst... get  firefox  ;-P j//k
Or Sometimes Internet Explorer gets bogged down with addons.

Tools -> Manage Addons ->  Enable or disable addons.  Turn off any toolbars if you are using any. Also turn off anythign fishy

Alot of times, something will install itself to internet explorer and accually redirect you browser to "their" proxy server and finally to the site you are going to. Spyware can be present.

Just trying to help, I dont know everyones technical know how on computers in this forum.  I have done IT professionally for 6 years and went into being a script programmer/webdesigner for another 4 years.
Designing a website to work in Internet Explorer (the most used according to my statistics), firefox, mozilla, etc can be daunting. Most browers will act slightly different due to web browsing companys ignoring the W3C html standards (microsoft being one of the worst offenders).

Andrew

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I have Firefox and prefer it to IE; but, moving from thread-to-thread in MLS takes forever with Firefox.  I seem to be able to navigate more quickly using IE.  Also, MLS seems to be slower to navigate through than most other web sites I visit (I have a DSL connection).  I really like MLS and put up with the slowness, but find it discouraging.

Llyn

·
Registered
934 Posts
A couple of times now I've had pages refuse to load because of what looks like some sort of recursive loop with the google adds. I have to hit the back button, and then try again, hoping to avoid the loop. (might just be my ancient computer though).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts