G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched all over the site to try to find the syntax for formatting Forum posts. My problem is as simple as wanting to get a paragraph break. Have tried [/p] which the FAQ suggests will work, but no luck.

Hoped this sentence would be a separate line, but it always previews squashed against stuff above.

Help, Albert

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
It's some kind of bug in the preview. Just put the line breaks in with the "return" key while typing and then don't preview it. If you try to edit your post later, you'll have to go back through and put all the breaks back in again with the return key.

They've been working on a fix since the new format went live .... it's like the automatic links and so forth, once you learn the work-around it's pretty pedestrian.

Matthew (OV)

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Albert

For a quick down & dirty answer. If you are using the text editor that is accessed via the Add Topic, Add Reply buttons or the Reply, & Quote links.

To always get a single blank line between paragraphs do the following in the text area of the editor...

This is the first paragraph test This is the first paragraph test This is the first paragraph test This is the first paragraph test This is the first paragraph test This is the first paragraph test.
This is the second paragraph test This is the second paragraph test This is the second paragraph test This is the second paragraph test This is the second paragraph test This is the second paragraph test This is the second paragraph test.
This is the third paragraph test This is the third paragraph test This is the third paragraph test This is the third paragraph test This is the third paragraph test.

(Note: the asterisks in the above tags must be removed, they are put there to prevent the code from being executed.)

Then regardless of what it looks like in the preview window, it will come out like the following when you click the submit button and post the reply. Additionally, if you go back and edit your reply you can use the line-break tag as your indicator as to where one paragraph ends and the next begins...the other advantage of this format is you won't loose the spacing if you go back and edit your reply.

This is the first paragraph test This is the first paragraph test This is the first paragraph test This is the first paragraph test This is the first paragraph test This is the first paragraph test.

This is the second paragraph test This is the second paragraph test This is the second paragraph test This is the second paragraph test This is the second paragraph test This is the second paragraph test This is the second paragraph test.

This is the third paragraph test This is the third paragraph test This is the third paragraph test This is the third paragraph test This is the third paragraph test.

Just as an indicator so that you can see that I've edited and re-posted this reply I've included the following smiley which gets whacked each time I re-post (i.e. indicated by the addition of the " border=0>).

:D" border=0>" border=0>" border=0>" border=0>" border=0>" border=0>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts