G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Try to search the archived forums, I get a time-out error,

I wanted to search there for old information.

Although, the search feature on this new forum makes me want to throw my computer out into traffic. You can't press "Back", and get back to your search results, they disappear, the search results have no order, and if i ask a question on the forum about a topic that has already been talked extensively about, everybody will get all emotional and tell me to use the search feature.

Ugh!

Ryan

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Ryan

I don't know, I just tried the Search function in the MLS Archives and didn't encounter any problem. One thing that can cause a timeout error is having the scope of the query too broad, you might try and narrow your search criteria.

Regarding your comments on the search functionality of the new forum software, might I suggest that after you get the search results set returned. When you find a record that you wish to view, instead of left-clicking the link, you right-click the link and then select and click the "Open in New Window" menu item. That way when you are finished you simply close that browser window/tab and you're right back to where you were on the original results page, and can continue perusing the remaining records returned.

You state that there is no order to the returned results set, there is an order and it's based on the date/timestamp of each reply record returned, and ordered oldest first to most recent last. While there is no provision available to modify this, there are criteria settings available in the "Advanced Options" to control the "Date Range" of records to be included, the ability to restrict the search to a specific MLS User ID via the "Search by User" control, and the ability to limit the specific forums you wish to perform the search in.

To access the advanced features you need to click the "Advanced Search" drop-down list button, indicated by the red-headed arrow on the right in the following image.

Regarding your comment about individuals getting testy about answering questions posed. On these forums, as in life you encounter all types of individuals, each with varying levels of frustration at any given time. Neither you or I can control what other individuals do or don't, only how we as individuals act. Making a blanket statement using the term "everybody" is as usual not very accurate and unfairly lumps all individuals into one category. May I suggest that you take all replies with a grain of salt, as the saying goes, and take the good and ignore the others.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get the following message when i try to search for ANYTHING in the archived forum: (The things i search for all worked up until a few days ago)

Error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e31'

Timeout expired

/archive/forum/search.asp, line 445

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Ryan

Yes sir, that's a timeout error. What's happening is because of the search criteria you've entered it's taking so long to check all the records it exceeding the time alloted to run the SQL (Structured Query Language) query. The only thing you can do is try being more specific in what you are looking for. The other end of the spectrum you'll run into is getting so specific you'll not find any records that match. So what it becomes is a balancing act.

For example:
If you put four separate words in the "Search For:" field, leave the setting at its default of "Search for all words" & leave the "Search In:" field at its default setting of "Entire Message", then it's going to be looking to see if it can find records the have all four words. If you cut the number of words down to just one then it'll take less time...or...if you change the "Search for all words" to "Match any of the words" etc.

The "Search By Date:" parameter isn't much help in the archive records since all of them are over a year old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts