G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, it was three geese (as in the RGS "Galloping" kind!) For the first time in almost a decade the Colorado Railroad Museum had all three of their "Galloping Geese" running at the same time! The event was nicknamed "Goosefest" and was held the weekend of Thanksgiving. This was the first time that I had actually had a chance to see a "Goose" run and I got to see three!! In addition, the Museum was giving rides on the railcars and I and my son, Eric, just happened to be in the right place at the right time to get to ride in the cab of Goose #7! I even managed to get to ride "shotgun!" (Sometimes nice things DO happen to people!) We were there on Saturday when there had been some snow the night before but the afternoon was delightful. The Museum and all of it's volunteers deserve a BIG round of applause!!
Oh yes, this Goosefest was only the warm-up act! Next spring the CRRM is celebrating the (75th?) anniversary of the Galloping Goose by having #'s 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and possibly 3 all at the museum at the same time!! (#4 is being restored in Ridgway but won't be ready unfortunately and even then it will only be a static display.) Just as I was taking my first shot of Goose #6 (called the "Work Goose") the batteries in my camera went dead!!! Oh well, I'll be sure to get some next spring!!

Here are some photos of the event:

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Steve,

Thanks for posting these pictures of the "three geese". Someone on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum posted some nice photos also. I'm going to visit the museum between December 19th and December 22nd and I'm looking forward to the visit. The last time I was there was 1971! I hope to see #346 under steam.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Lucky! all I got was Ham!

Looks like alot of fun, cold fun! What is it about the Geese, they are so cool. Even more so that most all of them survived (#1 being a replica). Goose #3 is at Knotts Berry Farm isnt it?

·
Registered
688 Posts
There is something unique about them. Lets face it, they are ugly. But in a "i love em and gotta get one" kind of way! Thanks for sharing, it looked like a great time.

Merry Christmas and happy railroading
Terry

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
We were there Saturday afternoon. Here is No. 6 sitting on the siding by the front gate.

We got to ride in the back of No.7. Seats about 30 folks with the comfort of stove. I was kind of surprised by how quick these guys get moving down the track. They run great. Kind of need to get a run at the grade (shown below) right after the loading area. It was a memorable day!

(I really need to start posting photos more often. It is really quite easy now!)

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the mechanical drive system? I assume there is a driveshaft to a differential.
The geese all seem to have two rear axles though. Are both driven, or is one just load bearing?
Thanks,

JimC.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Drive shaft to a modified truck diff on the lead axle, but both axles on drive truck are driven via a chain drive, look carefully at the pics, you can see the drive sprockets on the outside of the wheels on the right side of the units.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Gary,

The next steam up at the Musuem is going to be on December 13-14 for the Santa Claus Express Train. 346 is on the schedule to pull the train at this time. After that it is going into the Roundhouse to have a main rod bearing replaced. It has been clanking on the last 3 steamups the Museum has had. The repair can not be put off any longer or major damage could result . Hope this information helps.

The motorman of Goose # 7 was Al Blount who helped in the restoration of the machine. I got to ride in Goose #7 on Saturday also. Couldn't manage to get a ride in #6 while it was running. Will have to try next summer .

Charles M SA#74

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Charles,

Bummer! I did receive notice from the museum yesterday announcing the Santa Run. I guess I'll miss seeing #346 by about 6 days! Can it be seen in the roundhouse?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Gary,

If they have moved the 346 into the Roundhouse you can see it from the visitors area in the workshop entrance. They have a nice glassed in area that visitors can stand in and see the work in progress on locomotives and the cars . If you happen to see some of the shop guys in the area, a request to take a closer look can sometimes be arranged . Tell them you came from California just to see the 346 and they may let you in to see it up close and personal. I got to take a closer look at our South Park # 191 as it is being worked on for display for this fall.

If you happen to see some folks running in the Denver Garden Railway Society area of the Museum , stop by and say hi. We run on weekends in the morning if weather permits. I may even be out running live steam on our loop too !

Charles M SA #74

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I completely forgot to mention Al Blount! Thanks for correcting that mistake. Al did the re-upholstering for Goose #7. He told me that he found a small swath of cloth that still wasn't faded and they recreated it. Just for fun, here's a shot of the radiator cap taken from the inside of the cab:

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
My Sister and I went to Rail Fest and THE NATIONAL NARROW GAUGE model rail way convention the year it was in Durango.

We Rode a Goose then. My sister thought I was nuts till she saw it. She really enjoyed the ride. We had a great time that summer.

What was really great is they did mandatory pasenger rotation so everyone got to ride up front at one time or another. There were some Un Happy people who thought they were going to ride up front all the time.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Guys,
Any firm plans for the 2009 National Garden Railway Convention? I know they are scheduled to be at the museum Friday night. Wonder what all will be running? I plan to be there!

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Posted By aceinspp on 12/05/2008 6:08 PM
Well I had duck and pheasant. one year. Later RJD

You know Speaking of Fowl. I don't I have every eaten Goose. Not in my whole life. Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
474 Posts
Charles,
What are the plans for the Friday when the 2009 Garden Railway Convention visit the museum? I see on the new web site that there are special 50th anniversary dates for the two days AFTER that. Fill us in on what is planned, please!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ted,

I am sorry that I can't tell you what is planned for the 50th anniversary for the Museum. I would guess that it would be #346 and maybe a Goose ride , I just don't know at the moment . I will try to do some slutheing over this weekend at the Museum and see if " Donald " will revel any information. If I find out any hot news I will post back here for all of the good folks to see. If anybody is close by , the Santa Train is running at the Museum over the 13th and 14th. #346 is scheduled to run .

Charles M SA # 74

·
Registered
474 Posts
Charles,
Thanks for the reply. I know it is a little early yet, but I like to plan ahead. Was planning on going to the museum on the Friday of the convention, but if more is available, may have to make it on Sunday (riding the Ski Train on Saturday). Keep us posted!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts