G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we still control the size of the font in our responses on these threads? I thought I saw the toolbar but can't remember where.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Those features are presently, and hopefully temporarily kind of disabled.  You can do it if you know the HTML code to insert inline with your text to control the sizes.

Rather than try to remember the codes, you can, instead, click on the "Send Message" text under ANYBODY's name on the left of any thread you want.  Then the full editor that used to be available will be on your screen to use.

Just DO NOT click the "Send Message button at the bottom when you have typed your missive. You are not actually wanting to send a message to a particular person...

When you get the message the way you want; click on the "Source" button at the top left of the toolbar over the edit window and then highlight all the text (type Ctrl-A) and then type a Ctrl-C to copy the message to the clipboard.

Then click "Cancel" at the bottom of the page... NOT the "Send Message" area!!!!!

Then click the "Reply" button of choice or the "Add new topic" button and in the edit window that appears (the one without the toolbar you are looking for) and type Ctrl-V to paste the clipboard in to the box

That is what I did for the above text...

BUT

Now that I have explained HOW to do so, I must ask, PLEASE DON'T do it.

WHY? Well, some folk have their display set to make the text small and they get upset that it is small, so they use the text editor to make the text they are typing appear larger on "their" screen and then post the message... but to the rest of us, with our displays set to display normal text at a normal size, the posted message is then HUGE. Others, who have enlarged the standard text on their screen for readability, will see the text as EXTRA HUGE.

PLEASE, only used the text size changing for SPECIAL text that you want to emphasize... NOT the whole message. PLEASE??????

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's too much information for my brain. :mad: /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif I'll stick with the standard fonts and get used to them.

Thanks for the explanation though.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Dan

To set the size of the font, use the following...

your text goes here between the font tags
(remember to remove the asterisks from the above example)

·
Super Modulator
21,053 Posts
Can we get an "official" answer from Shad or a moderator?

Just curious.

By the way, all the different sized fonts and colors are not necessary in 99% of the situations in my opinion. If you have trouble seeing small characters, larger monitors are really cheap nowadays. I find fancy fonts and colors are distracting.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
I can't directly speak for Shad, however, I sort of figure that he wouldn't have placed the tools on the tool-bar if he didn't expect them to be used.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 02 Jan 2010 12:26 PM
Can we get an "official" answer from Shad or a moderator?

Just curious.

By the way, all the different sized fonts and colors are not necessary in 99% of the situations in my opinion. If you have trouble seeing small characters, larger monitors are really cheap nowadays. I find fancy fonts and colors are distracting.

Regards, Greg

I don't mind loosing the colors or fonts, but I would vote to keep the ability to increase the font size. Even with a larger monitor the small print tiers ones eyes
.Particularly when reading long articles here, and in other forums.

·
Super Modulator
21,053 Posts
I know you have that difficulty Dan, but why not just increase the text size in your browser, that way ALL the characters in all posts will be larger, not just yours?

That feature is available in almost every browser.

Regards, greg

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Greg, I have the text size set to it's largest. The print in the posts, on these forums, shows up at about 3/32". I could use the zoom, but then most of the page is off of the screen. I find it more difficult to type a message in the font size that comes up when replying to a post. The default font size in posts is OK to read, unless it is a particularly long post, as I have mentioned.

·
Super Modulator
21,053 Posts
Ahh... I see, I just tried zoom, and while it makes the characters bigger, it also widens the frame...

BUT !!!!

If you go to the zoom setting in Firefox (click View, then Zoom), and check the "zoom text only", then hitting zoom (control +) leaves the page width alone and only zooms the text!

There is your solution.
Now you can zoom all the text in the posts and read everyone's text easily, not just yours!

By the way, in December, Firefox surpassed Internet Explorer as the most used browser in the world.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting. I will stick with Internet Explorer for now. My computer is running smoothly, knock on wood, and it doesn't need the likes of me
trying something different. But thank you for your replies Greg.

·
Super Modulator
21,053 Posts
Yep, text size does not change right in my IE 6, will have to check it in IE8.

Greg

p.s. Firefox is more stable than IE, more resistant to attack, and will not destabilize your computer. Millions of people cannot be wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts